Neurology Forum

Will sensory abnormalities return to normal after a mild stroke?

I am 59, in good health and get good exercise nearly every day.  Just a month ago I had a mild brain stem stroke after a lengthy plane flight. Most of my symptoms are 90 - 95% improved: walking, swallowing, speech.  I expect improvement to continue over the next few months.
The slight numbness and feelings of coldness in parts of my left side have not changed over the month since the stroke and I still feel temperataure differently on the left side.  During ejaculation I can feel the pulsations, but I don't feel the 'thrill'.  
My questions are:  Can I expect improvement in these sensory abnormalities over the next few months?  Years?  Is there anything I can do to help get the sensations back to normal?  
Thanks very much for your answers.  Your forum is a great thing.
Dear Ken:

The most important point is to reduce the initial cause of the stroke in the first place.  Whether that be hypertension, high cholesterol or whatever.  We usually expect improvement over the first 6 months to be the greatest and improvment tapering over the next 6 months.  What regain of function then is greatest earliest.  So, you still have improvement coming.  I can't tell you what to expect, but only improvement.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease