Neurology Community
45k Members

drinking post stroke

hi I am 41 years old and I had a ischemic stroke 3 weeks ago , I have left sideweakness/neglect but hav made a reasonable recovery, I just want to kno if its ok to drink alcohol if i go out socially, i dont want to put my self at risk of further strokes
Hi.

For a person who hasn't experienced any form of stroke, drinking excessive amounts of alcohol greatly increases the risk of stroke.

However, for those who already experienced a stroke, like in your case, even mild to moderate alcohol consumption might be putting you at risk for another stroke.  

Remember that drinking alcohol doesn't directly lead to a stroke. The stroke occurs secondary to an underlying disease such as hypertension or cardiovascular disease, which in turn developed possibly due to excessive alcohol intake.  Since you already had a stroke previously, it means that the underlying pathology is already there (hypertension, heart disease, etc.) and if you consumed alcohol again, it might aggravate your condition and lead to another stroke.
hi there, i didnt have  any probs such as high blood pressure or high cholestrol I have never been a big drinker but want to kno if i go out socially that it is ok to drink the doctors stil have not given me a definative reason why i had the stroke but possibly caused by a migraine
It is generally advised to limit yourself to no more than two drinks a day once you've had a stroke, apart from regular exercise, complete abstinence from smoking and getting a flu shot every year to avoid flu. You can also consult your physician about it. Take care!