Neurology Forum

hand shivering and mouth proturding

hello ....! my father is suffering from hand shivering and he keeps his mouth slightly open with out his knowledge. he is 53 now.. does this need immediate attention
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms are that your father is having. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

I would have your father evaluated. There are several possibilities since the information is limited. One possibility is a seizure.  Then, if it is a seizure, why? He may need neuroimaging as well as lab work performed. The other possibilities are movement disorders such as Parkinsons disease (to name just one). Is your father healthy otherwise or has any other past medical history? Many medications can cause tremors too.

I would recommend that your father be seen by a neurologist in the near future. If he has any loss of consciousness with the episodes, he’ll need to be evaluated more urgently like in an emergency department.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease