Orthopedics Community

2 year old daughter buckel fracture got fiberglass cast wet

my 2 year old daughter got her fiberglass cast wet she stuck her arm in the shower and now its wet on the inside I believe. She has a buckle fracture so no surgery so no incision or wounds to heal, and she has about 14days left till they take it off. I tried drying it i have no hair dryer so I can't do that. I am just super worried she will get an infection and her skin will mess up and stuff like i have read. what do i do? do i call her dr and get a new one on her? will she be ok overnight till in the morning till i can call the dr?
Hi!
Well, an unfortunate incident! If the cast has a waterproof lining then the water should seep away. Also, there are air pores in fiberglass casts. So using a hair drier on cool setting should help. You can also use a portable fan. If you feel that the skin inside is still wet then show this to her doctor. If the skin remains wet for too long, it can cause infection and the skin may loose its texture and tone. You can wait the night out though!  
Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.