Orthopedics Community

Knee pain

Hi All,
My name is Nir and I am 31 years old, 8 years ago I had motorcycle accident in which I smashed my right knee. As a consequence to that accident the tibial plateau was broken, the ACL was torn and the meniscus was tearing. At first an Orthofix device was insert to me leg in order to cure the bone structure (cure the tibial plateau fractures), after 2 years from the accident I had the first ACL reconstruction. In the first 2 years after the ACL reconstruction everything went very well, the knee was stable the muscles got stronger and in general the knee condition was very good. After that 2 years (4 years after the accident) I started to feel strange pain in my knee, the pain felt like burning sensation and eventually I couldn’t put any weight on my knee due to the severe pains. After I replaced physician and he saw that conservative treatment didn’t succeed (steroids, lubricant fluid etc.) he offered me an knee arthroscopy which reveal that I had small rapture in my medial meniscus, after the operation I felt very good but it didn’t last long after 3 weeks I started to feel the same pain. After one more year one the pain was totally unbearable I went to other physician, after he go over my MRI and CT results he said that the autograft wasn’t located properly (the autograft was located to much forward). He suggest me to undergo re-ACL reconstruction with allograft, from that surgery it passed 1 more year and although I feel better I still have the same pain but now it’s located in the back of the knee. The pain doesn’t feel like regular pain, in the morning it has a burning sensation which later become like dull but strong pain in the back of the knee. Sometime it even feels like the pain is from the allograft itself. The pain drive me mad and I couldn’t find anything similar on the web (I tried to find an orthopedic injuries, nerve damage etc. but with no success).
Does anyone know what can it be? Or how can it be treated?
Hi there!

Well, without a physical examination and probably a few tests, it would be difficult to point out a cause. Few possibilities include  infections/ inflammations, arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis, cyst formation, nerve impingement/ injuries, iliotibial band syndrome, injuries to the internal ligaments/ menisci, osgood-schlatter disease, bone growths/ tumours etc; just to name a few.  I would suggest consulting an orthopedician for an evaluation; which may consist of a complete physical examination and a few tests like routine blood tests, imaging studies like X-ray/ MRI etc. After a cause is diagnosed, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.