Orthopedics Community

Untreated injuries from a bad car wreck 20 yrs ago is wrecking my life today

I was in a rollover car accident 20 yrs ago.  I was tossed around and then thrown from the car some 20 ft.  Unfortunately I was given a clean bill of health.  Bruised knee they told me.   Well I could handle the knee and the hip I just didn't know any better and I've always been a tough chic.  I finally went to the Dr. for my knee and I have a torn PCL and also a labral hip tear and ligament damage.  I had surgery on the hip and its better.  My real problem is I have no quality of life anymore.  I can't stand without pulling myself up using something to support me.  I am in constant pain in my lower back.  Steroid Injections only lasted 3 months.  I now have agonizing pain in my neck. From the length of my neck to where it meets my back and that's where it really hurts. There's even a lump or small bump there.  I get a headache anytime I read or type for more than an hour maybe less.  I was diagnosed with DDD, DJD and Osteoarthritis lumbar region.  I use to smile and loved to make others smile.  Now I can hardly leave my house.  I lost my job.  I have an all you can handle buffet of pain and a giant slice of depression for desert.  I am only 42 but really I look younger.  I eat healthy and have always been very active.  I can't work obviously and that's a first for me since I was 14.  Where do I go for help for the pain and can I qualify for disability?  I am a fighter and I can't stand to lose this battle.  Please any advice or help.....
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  Osteoarthritis, DDD and DJD can all cause pinched nerves. They can even cause pressure on the spinal cord. This along with other injuries can worsen the pain.
If possible consult a sports injury center or a neurologist and a physiotherapist and chalk out a physiotherapy program to help relive the pressure on the nerves. This can be done via traction, spinal manipulation, exercises, swimming etc.
You can wear specially designed belts and corsets to support the spine. Also, the pain killers can be titrated such that you have round the clock pain support through pills and patches.
Also, at your age, hormonal analysis to rule out menopause and thyroid disorders is important as both can contribute to pain.
If all this does not help then talk to your doctor about disability status.
Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.