Orthopedics Community

ankle pain/swelling & extreme pain in foot

In the spring I started having some foot pain on the outside of my right foot (5th metatarsal) as well as pain above my ankle and swelling on the outside of my leg. I went to a podiatrist and got x-rays and MRIs. He determined that I had the beginning stages of a stress fracture in my 5th metatarsal. He had me wear a boot air cast for about a month and a half and go to physical therapy. It is two months later and I am still having the pain and swelling. I do the PT exercises every day and ice my ankle and foot. I've been taking it easy and haven't done anything but swim. I saw him two weeks ago and he told me to start weening off the boot and suggests that my pain might be coming from a pinched nerve in my back. First of all I am pretty sure this injury was caused because I started running earlier this year. I felt like I did everything correctly. I started off slowly, got fitted for shoes, cross-trained, stretched, etc. I have always been active and like I said no other injuries to this area of my body. I am scheduled to return to the doctor in a few days but am just kind of at a loss of what to do. Clearly, it is very frustrating to go through a few months of treatment to come out being not much better then before. Has anyone ever experienced a similar type of issue? Any suggestions on what else I can do to help it? Depending on the results of my next visit with him I am more then likely going to seek a second opinion.
Hi!
Yes, it would be advisable to seek a second opinion if you do not show signs of improvement. Any fracture/stress fracture/ligament tear/bone bruise in foot may take about 6-8 weeks to heal completely. Since you have crossed the time limit, maybe there is a ligament injury that was not caught or maybe the stress fracture has not healed. Another possibility is a dislocation of a foot bone. Please consult your doctor regarding these possibilities. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.