Orthopedics Community

shattered kneecap

almost seven years ago i shattered my left knee cap, fractured my right kneecap and fractured my right femur in a car accident. i am still suffering with a lot of pain i do manage to do alot but my pain is getting worse especially in my left knee all the metal work is still in there would you recommend that it'll be taken out i've just had an xray and some of the wire has snapped could this be the cause of my pain?
i am really nervous about having surgery as mine was done in quite traumatic circumstances!
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be very difficult to answer the question or determine the cause of the pain. The wire could be responsible for the pain and may need to be replaced. I would suggest an initial evaluation by an orthopedician to get a fair idea of the situation, determine the cause of the pain and suggestion of the best management plan at this time.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.