Aa
A
A
A
Close
Parenting Babies (Newborn to 1 year) Community
214 Members

Constipated

My daughter is just over a month old now and we have added formula to her feedings as i'm not having enough milk for only breast feeding and she is extremely constipated, we tried a bottle nipple of warm water and that worked very well the first time, but now we are going on 2 days with no poop she's very fidgety and seems to be in quite a bit of pain/discomfort! Any ideas!
2 Responses
Hi there..my son is 2 weeks old and we have been supplememting with formula as well from day one  because of insufficient BM. He was constipated at a week old because of the formula, but I quickly changed it to enfamil ready to feed A+ sensitive. It's easier on the tummy and he loves it! I also just started enfamil A+ sensitive in powdered form and I'm giving both ready to feed and the powder and he has 2-3 bowel movements everyday at least. When he was constipated, I rubbed his anus with Vaseline like the nurse suggested to make his poop easier to pass. Only around the anus tho and not inside. Also moved his legs in a bicycle motion and rubbed his tummy clockwise. In addition to a nice warm bath. (All these helped) But he was still constipated till I changed his formula from regular powdered enfamil to the ready to feed A+ sensitive. I hope this helps! Goodluck!
Another thing you can give sparingly besides water is diluted pear juice (most juices are off limits at that age, but this isn't!)
But - usual comment - intestinal toxification is real and if she hasn't done a smelly for two days you should put a baby-size glycerin suppository in her.
Have an Answer?
Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327197724
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.