Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

18mth old Toddler with worrysome eating habits

My son is 18mths old and for going on 4mths now his eating problems seem to be getting worse. He goes sometimes 2-4 days without eating much food and then will have a day or two where he will eat only a normal serving. So i worry he is not even making up for the days he has lost out on eating. Recently it has gotten even worse and now he only wants milk bottles or pediasures to drink when he does get a hunger pang. I find his mood and physical being of late have changed and he looks lethargic and zones out. He also is sleeping alot more lately. I am at my witts end with worry. Last DR. visit said he was a  normal toddler. But i feel something more may be wrong.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
184674 tn?1360860493
You should call the pediatrician as soon as possible. This does not sound normal.

I hope everything is okay! Update us soon if you can.
Helpful - 0
1128483 tn?1277340286
It doesn't sound like a normal toddler, take him the dr again, or even switch if you don't think his current dr is doing a good enough job.

In the mean time, try blending things and giving him "smoothie's" to drink.  It's possible he may just not like the texture of solid foods, but to get him some of what he needs try blending some Yogart and fruit.  Or you could even add some Yogart, sweetpatatos and Banana.  

I hope things get better for him soon!
Helpful - 0
366779 tn?1291343396
Sorry to hear this. I agree with above. All though my DD goes for days without eating much and still produces wet and dirty nappies.
Helpful - 0
1294482 tn?1354489288
I agree that she needs to see a pediatrician. There are also help lines where people come out and talk to you about different things you can do to help your child to eat. Your son may have something else going on such as a texture issue where he doesn't like anything that isn't smooth. There are food therapy classes that can help with this. I would say to try talking to someone about this asap.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.