keep Paci or not.....help?

My daughter just turned 18 months old and is EXTREMELY attached to those soothie pacifiers.  She typically only takes one at nap time, bed time or on long car rides.  I'm really worried about this type of paci giving her buck teeth.  I can already tell she has a bit of an overbite, but I THINK (from looking at pictures) I had this too when I was a baby and I never took a paci of any sort.  I now have perfectly straight teeth, with no help from braces, etc...  What do you think?  Would this type of paci cause buck teeth?  Should I take it away now, even though it is going to be a LONG, HARD process?  Or regardless of what her teeth look like now, is it possible that her permanent teeth will come in straight?  PLEASE HELP....  I just don't know what to do.  I am very concious about teeth, always have been.  I don't want to cause her any discomfort by taking it away (not to mention the nights of NO SLEEP for me), but I definitely don't want to mess up her teeth.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thx.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would think she is okay until she is 2 but if you are concerned take the paccys and let her pop them in a bag to go to the new babies. wave bye bye , she will be upset for about2 days ..make sure she has a lovely sippy cup and a favorite blanky or teddy .
Helpful - 0
I say let her keep it. If you are worried about her teeth then you can use the orthopedic ones that are recommended by dentists that do not deform the teeth. Obviously she still feels she needs the comfort.
Helpful - 0
Hi there, my daughter is 2 and she still has her paci. She only uses it at bedtime or if she isn't feeling good. I also have a son that is now 8, beautiful teeth by the way, but he gave up his paci on his own at about 2 1/2 and he was addicted to that thing. He just decided he didn't need it any more. I think as long as you make a big deal out of it the harder it is for the child to let go. Let her be the one that decides she doesn't need it anymore. My daughter has actually forgotten to take the paci to bed with her a couple of times now so i now that the day is coming when she wont need it at all. Just remeber the old saying......You always want what you can't have........she will be ok.
Helpful - 0
I'd suggest getting rid of it. My Aunt's son had one until he was three and couldn't pronounce words correctly, and would leave off the first letter of some because he was used to talking with the paci in his mouth.
Helpful - 0
I say let her keep it, especially if she isn't using it all the time. It won't hurt her and if she needs braces she is going to have them whether or not she ***** on a pacifier. The world is a hard enough place to live in without small comforts like pacifiers or stuffed animals.
Helpful - 0
I actually had to do it twice. Once at 6 months and then again at a little over a year because after her sister was born she began reverting. There were some long nights but like I said it didnt last long so it was definitely worth it.
Helpful - 0
Did you have some long nights while trying to break her?  And at what age did you do this?
Helpful - 0
Just because it MIGHT not affect the permanent teeth doesnt mean you shouldnt be concerned about the affect on your daughter's teeth. Prolonged paci use can reform the jaw.

But what I did with my daughter is just quit her cold turkey with pacis and it really isnt as hard as you may think. It took her about a week and she didnt even think about them anymore.

Helpful - 0
Hi,  teeth aren't really the concern.  Her teeth now are the baby teeth and yes, they can become crooked.  But she has adult teeth growing under her gums that won't come in until she is 5 to 7.  I was a thumb sucker way back when and it was a big trick at family events to show how I could slip my thumb under my front teeth without opening my jaw (I know . . .YUCK!  but I was a kid and thought that was cool!)  Anyway, my permanent teeth came in straight and I have never needed braces.  My son who does not nor never did take a paci or suck his thumb has perfectly straight baby teeth but an X ray shows him permanent teeth coming in crooked!  So you never know about those permanent teeth.

I do think that speech problems are more the concern with paci's.  And I think the thought is that the longer it goes, the harder it is to get rid of.  Limiting now will help----  bed only.  You'll have to have a new plan for something for her to feel comforted by (blanket, stuffed animal, etc.)  Good luck-----  this is always a challenge!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community