Aa
A
A
A
Close
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Community
3.57k Members

Please help: does this look like PCOS? (results inside)

Hello folks,

I could really do with some advice and feedback:

I'm 32 and have had polycystic ovaries for years, but never PCOS (hormonal syndrome) - until now (it seems).

I am underweight (I know some with PCOS who are), and have always had irregular periods - I get them each month but never on the same date.

I recently went to a doctor because I had spotting between periods and multiple mini "periods" in a short space of time, which is a first for me, even with ovarian cysts. I've also been having gas and indigestion for months, which is unlike me, so was concerned about more serious things. I had a pap smear which was normal, but with squamous metaplasia and moderate inflammation, undetermined.

I then had two transvaginal ultrasounds in 1 month and both are basically normal, with the multiple ovarian cysts confirmed. The last gyn I saw for the second scan did say there was a slight irregularity in my uterus, but nothing to worry about, though he didn't explain what it was. I'm seeing him for follow up soon.

Below are my most recent hormone test results - Glucose tolerance test, Testosterone, FSH, LH, Estradiol. All appear normal, except that I was told my LH/FSH ratio suggests PCOS so far...

I'm very confused and still bleeding and feeling like hell! I also am awaiting tests results from a hematologist because I have a known genetic clotting disorder, so have to be careful of birth control. Going to see a doc at a fertility clinic soon.

Does this look like PCOS from my results below? I want to make sure I get to the cause of the bleeding at least to correct it.

Thanks a lot.

RESULTS:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test                      Result              Flag              Reference Range      

Glucose Tolerance
GTT-2HR (2HR GTT)                  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS:

Fasting Glucose:      4.7   mmol/L              

1 Hr PP Glucose:     7.8    mmol/L              

2 Hr PP Glucose:      5.1    mmol/L            

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                  

REFERENCE RANGES (Diagnosis at end of reference range column):

Fasting Glucose:                           < 5.6            5.6 to 6.9      7.0

1 Hr PP Glucose:                           < 7.8             11.1

2 Hr PP Glucose:                           < 7.8              11.1

DIAGNOSIS:                                NORMAL        I.F.G.          I.G.T.           DIABETES

Impaired         Impaired

Fasting           Glucose

Glucose         Tolerance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Test                                      Result                Flag              Reference Range

Estradiol (E2)                     207 pmol/L

Reference Range for WOMEN:

Postmenopause:                                         <18.4  -   201 pmol/L

Follicular:                                                     46  -   607 pmol/L

Ovulation:                                                    315  -  1828 pmol/L

Luteal:                                                         161  -   774 pmol/L

Test                                      Result                Flag             Reference Range

Testosterone                          1.83  nmol/L                         0.22-2.9 nmol/L

Test                          Result          Flag            Reference Range

FSH                         7.4  mU/mL

Postmenopause                                                 25.8   -   134.8

Follicular                                                             3.5   -    12.5

Ovulation                                                            4.7   -    21.5

Luteal                                                                 1.7   -    7.7

Test                                Result             Flag         Reference Range

Lutenizing Horm.(LH)      14.3  mU/mL

REFERENCE RANGES FOR WOMEN:                    

Postmenopause:                                                      7.7 - 58.5  mU/mL

Follicular:                                                                  2.4 - 12.6  mU/mL

Ovulation:                                                                 14  - 95.6  mU/mL

Luteal:                                                                       1.0 - 11.4  mU/ml
1 Responses
Hi! I'm sorry that I'm not very good with reading test results :( but I noticed that we are similar - both PCOS (maybe) and both with clotting disorders. I have homozygous factor 5 Leiden, and yes even bio identical hormones are dangerous. What my doctor has me on, which I suggest you ask yours about, is a supplement called Pregnitude. It's a reproductive support supplement - yes it's marketed for women trying to conceive but my doctor uses it for her menopausal and PCOS patients as well, and it really does get things under control. Won't go into details but lots of symptoms I'm really glad are long gone.

Also I stay away from soy products. Your body reacts to phytoestrogen in the soy as if it were your own. So if you already have high estrogen, you don't want to add to it.

This is all information I received from my own doctor, of course I encourage you to discuss it with your own.:)
Have an Answer?
Top Women's Health Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.