Pregnancy: Ages 25-34 Community

HIV testing mandatory?

Is Hiv testing mandatory while your pregnant? I live in ny and today when i went to my ob the front desk wanted me to sign a paper for hiv testing and she said it was mandaroy and required by law BUT ON THE paper clearly said its voluntary any input??! I got tested in july and i know im clean just gets me upset that they said its mandatory i refused to sign and the lady was really annoyed and angry. Is this true??
??
I had my done whike pregnant but i dont know if it is mandatory.
I was tested this time and last time..but id rather be tested for as much as possible even if Im sure im clear..i guess they cant just take ppls words for it..they need to know definitively
i was tested too. but i didn't mind.
Her question is: is it mandatory. I dnt think so. I understand your frustration with them telling you one thing and the form stating another.
My on said she likes to have it done very pregnancy because it doesn't always show up right away! She never said it was mandatory just recommended.
OB not on lol spell check!
I was told I could opt out. My husband and I waited until we were married, so we know we don't have it.
I think it goes something like this, the Dr requires it cuz they can't just go off of ur word that ur clean. U could inadvertently be putting the medical staff at risk by not getting tested if ur were hiv+.  Nothing against u, but they have to take proper measure to protect themselves as well since blood will be spilled when u deliver.  I was wondering the same thing when I had to fill out paperwork.  I wouldn't be offended by it.  Besides, wouldn't u want to know again that ur negative?  They test for a ton of different stuff so they can be able to give u the best treatment possible while ur pregnant.  
well from what I went through, it is mandatory.  if they don't test you, they'll have to test the baby and most people don't want to put their baby through that.  I live in DC.  I think it's a city thing
I was tested in july and came negative. But what i get annoyed is they tell u is mandatory just like they told me iv is mandatory...
They are wrong for saying it is mandatory. They can't make anything like that mandatory because you have the right to refuse for religious reasons. I would get tested anyway just to be double sure, but they should use universal precautions during the delivery. They should be treating everyone as if they have HIV by wearing gloves and gown.
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.