Pregnancy Community

my doctor told me it would be ok if i gained little or no weight at all..

so i a m still struggling to loose the weight i have left over from my first pregnancy and here i am pregnant again.. so when i went in to get my progestrone script .. i asked him about exercising and he told me its ok just low impact no running...  so riding the stationary bike is ok.. and he told me it would ok and very healthy if i didn't gain more than 5lbs with this pregnancy or even if i lost some since i am overweight.. so he is urging me to exercise.. which i have been even before i got pregnant..  it just seems odd to me that it would be ok to loose weight during pregnancy.. that just sounds so odd to me
Um NO!  I can't believe a doctor would tell you this.  Even obese women are given the green light to gain 11 to 20 lbs during pregnancy.  Infact, if you look over on the Maternal  & Child Forum, peekawho just posted the most recent pregnancy weight gain stats/chart.  And it says the thing I just wrote about the obese thing.  You might want to think about getting another doctor.  You don't want a doctor riding you about your weight the whole pregnancy or pressuring you if you gain more than what HE thinks you should gain.  I'm sorry, but that is just wrong to me......
Have you guys read the news this week?  The Board of OB/GYNs have revised the weight guidelines for pregnant women.  Women that over weight should gain less than 15lbs or no weight at all and sometimes loose some weight if they are too overweight and women that are underweight should gain up to 40 pounds.
Women at a healthy weight should gain between 25-35lbs at the Most.

I think what he is saying is based on the new guidelines.
The guidelines that Peek posted state that an obese women should gain 11-20 pounds.

With my last pregnancy my doctor told me the same thing yours did, that I didn't need to gain any weight, I gained 50 pounds lol. This time around I was the same weight I was when I got pregnant last time and my dr. said nothing about me not gaining weight, in fact I have gained almost 25 pounds and he said that is fine. I was about 30 pounds over my ideal weight when I got pregnant, so I think that would be considered obese.

Do your best to eat healthy and dont worry about it too much as long as you know you are making smart decisions about your food.
No, I have not seen the news or read it; at least not about this but, I don't agree w/ not gaining ANY weight.  This is what is on a website that I use during my pregnancies, and whether you are normal, overweight, or even obese, you can't control the following:

7 - 9 pounds of baby
2 pounds of placenta
2 pounds of amniotic fluid
4 - 5 pounds of increased blood volume
2 pounds uterine enlargement
3 - 4 pounds of fluid in maternal tissue
1 pound of breast enlargement to prepare for breastfeeding
Any remaining pounds are a general deposit of fat required by the body for breastfeeding and energy stores

The above is for a normal pregnancy.

I have know so many women that have gained like 60 pounds and everything was fine.  Am I saying that everyone should do this?  No, of course not, but I am just saying that everyone is different.  I work w/ a girl that is so tiny and thin, she looks like she could fall through the cracks of the concrete.  I'm not kidding.  But she told me when she was pregnant, she gained 60 pounds.  I can't imagine it on her, but she did.  You'd never know it now!

I seriously would try not to stress to much about this.  Otherwise, you could keep necessary nutrients from the baby.

With all of my other pregnancies, I was back to my normal weight before getting pregnant again.  But not w/ this one.  I still had about 8 pounds to go or so.  But my doc didn't say anything to me about weight gain and not to gain as much, etc.  I just do my best to eat healthy and watch it during the week.  Then on the weekends, I do what I want with eating.  I figure what I gain is what I gain.  But I certainly am not going to starve myself or anything.

Sorry so long, but I agree w/ GRose.  Just do your best to eat healthy, but don't deprive yourself either :)
i only gained 25 lbs with aubree and most of that was water since i developed toxemia at the end and i gained 10lbs in one week from that..   im actually stoked that i can keep exercising and eating healthy.. and he told me that i do not need to eat an extra 300 calories until the second trimester... so im suppose to eat at a maintence level for my weight..  im going to try and keep on my diet of having no soda or potato chips or realy any junk food... i also am staying away from white pasta and white bread.. so i honestly think i can have a healthy pregnancy and not gain that much weight...
Geez I didn't mean it any bad way, that's just what came out in the news this week.

Your body will gain naturally what it needs, just eat healthy low carb foods and high protein, and keep exercising regularly (nothing too extreme) and that should maintain your weight and it will regardless be good for the baby having a healthy diet and exercise.  Also drink plenty of fluids.  
Your baby will consume the extra fat stores that are on your body.  I don't think that anyone except for underweight women, need to increase the fat stores, because the body will absorb and baby will absorb what it needs from what is already there.  Eat lean meats and healthy fats like fish oils, olive oil, avocados, nuts, healthy oils.

Good luck.