Preventive Medicine Forum

ringworm

I saw online that bleach was a household remedy for ringworm... are there any risks for repeated application of bleach to your skin?
Thanks for your question. There are risks involved with using bleach though I'm not sure how to quantify them. It would make sense that these risks increase with the number of repeated applications, strength of the bleach being used, etc. More importantly, there are excellent medications for the treatment of ringworm. Typically I treat ringworm (which is really a fungus) with a topical antifungal creme. Because it is on the skin, the relative absorption into the body is low, making it a safe medication. It is also cheap. As important as treatment is prevention of another infection. Here is an article I found online about it:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/ringworm-of-the-skin-topic-overview?page=2

Sometimes I do prefer home remedies to medical ones. However, when the home remedy has potential side effects, and the medical treatment is effective, safe, and inexpensive, I go with the medical remedy.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Nundy
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.