Respiratory Disorders Forum

Cure for constant Post Nasal Drip and throat clearing

I have the constant Post Nasal Drip and throat clearing as a result of it.  This has bothered me for about eighteen years and just keeps getting worse.  Being a stand up comedian, this really hampers my profession.

On December 8,2005 I was doing a show in Virgina and saw a local doctor there.  She gave me Tussionex and within the hour of the first dosage the drainage stopped.  The next week was wonderful as I was even able to cough up stuff for the first time in a long time.

I have tried the 8 mg dosage of Chlorpheniramine but it doesn't work. I have taken hydrocodone before with dental problems and I know that after taking it I get the itch in the nose for about five minutes.

I am convinced that this is a cure and that the Chlorpheniramine somehow bonds to the hydrocodone to be most affective.  Problem is ofcourse that it is a narcotic and no doctor will give that on a daily bases for the rest of my life.

Are there any other drugs that could possibly bond with the Chlorpheniramine and take it right to the nasal area?

I have done all the alergy testing three times.  Head xray, Barium swallow, and all the prescription sprays, decongestants and antihistamines.  Nothing has ever worked but this.

Steve
I know of no evidence that chlorpheniramine bonds with hydrocodone.  I do not know of any way to explain the drainage stopping within an hour of when you took the first dose of Tussionex
You did not say what the head x-ray revealed, however, if you have chronic sinusitis, you ought to try and find the cause.
My son had chronic sinusitis and our regular doctors kept treating him with antibiotics.  About the time they referred him to a specialist, I had tracked down a doctor Norton Fishman (M.D.)who practices complimentary medicine, now located in Bethesda, Maryland.
Although the ear, nose, throat specialist's (Dr. Lisk) skin pricks for allergies were negative, the other doctor did a blood test and stool test which revealed six food allergies and an intestinal yeast overgrowth.  Five of the food allergies were protein, including antibodies to egg whites.  The non-protein allergy was chocolate.
He was also very low on several minerals. Some were two deviations below normal, including zinc which is very important for the immune system and needs to be balanced with copper.
He was missing two necessary bacterial flora, with something else on a pathogenic level.
This type of yeast overgrowth is related to sinus infections.
For the yeast overgrowth, Dr. Fishman treated him with a prescriptive drug, an over the counter remedy (as recommended by the lab) and many nutritional supplements, not an antibiotic.
Dr. Lisk had a cat scan done, which showed all of my son's sinus cavity was infected.  Dr. Lisk did do surgery for him.
He got well!
hi i went through a similar process. doctors always prescribed antihistamine and steroid spray which didn't really help. allergist diagnosed pollen allergy from a skin ***** test. I knew I had seasonal hayfever already. I eventually narrowed the cause down to corn products. With strict avoidance I am practically as good as new. Corn is also used in gypsum board as a drying agent when it's manufactured, which is why I had problems when we renovated out house. I'm not saying you have a corn allergy, but there are so many potential allergens that test would not have been exhaustive. Skin ***** tests are not very reliable for corn at least - false negatives are common even though a blood test is positive. I'd try a strict food elimination process - may find something or help at least rule out food problems. good luck finding your cause, keep trying with an open mind.
How do you know for a fact that you are having Post Nasal Drip.  Can you actually feel the mucous trickle down the back of your throat?  Is your nose stuffed up?  I've been told I have Postnasal Drip but my only symptoms are the throat clearing, chest tightness and cough, which commonly leads to bronchial infections a few times every winter.  I've been taking Mucinex to help with the excess mucous, and it helps a ton, but I still want to know which way the mucous coming from.  Couldn't the lungs also be producing clear mucous, and causing the throat clearing, and lung infections?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Wrecker,

It is an obvious Post Nasal Drip.  I feel it dripping out of the back of my nose and it makes me gag, puke, or choke if I don't clear my nasal passages.  It is quite gross but it is kinda like goes like this:

1. I have to suck in hard through my nose
2. And kinda snort back to get it into my mouth.
3. Then I expell it.

Like I said it is quite gross and not many people want to be around it after a while.  It is quite embarrassing but most of all uncomfortable.  I usually have a sore throat at some point in the day and usually it goes away and may reappear.  The worst thing though is the forever feeling of a scratchy throat.

Doctors don't want to listen to you though.  They just want to push the steriod nasal sprays and prescription antihistamines on you.  Tussionex is the only thing that has worked for me.

Sounds like exactly (Or at the least, drastically similar to) what I have going on.  Chronic post-nasal drip, nearly constant.  It started getting pretty regular about four or five years ago, and has been getting a touch worse with every subsequent bout with sinusitis since.

Same thing; Steroids have been completely ineffective.

Side Quirk; It gets noticibly worse when I'm under stress.  (Actually, it's become one of my tell-tale signs that I'm -getting- stressed -- I have a tendency to ignore/suppress emotional stress.)  -That- quirk combined with the PND to effectively end my music career.  Having to hawk and spit every verse or so does not do wonders for one's stage presence.  I can force myself to ignore it for a bit, but holding back like that causes it to get worse to the point of hacking, gagging, and full-on puking.  (Fun.  'Hey, let's go see the local band.  I've got front row tickets, bring a tarp!')

Now -- I had a goodly portion of respiratory problems when I was younger, mostly secondary to an immunodeficiency.  Also had problems with asthma and multiple allergies (I still remember the weekly-to-monthly allergy shot, gamma globulin shot, blood test trips).  

However, for a good ten to fifteen years, there, I didn't have many to any problems.  The thin/clear discharge and perceived mucosal irritation -implies- to me "allergen", but I'm not sure about sudden onset or relapse allergies.

On the down side, I'm currently a starving college student again (Ironically, in Respiratory Therapy) and I'm lacking in insurance so I can't afford to get myself bounced from specialist to specialist as tends to be the norm in my experience.

So for now, it's a "Huh.  So what the (insert random no-no word of your choice) do I do now?"  Not only is the not being able to perform vocally thing a major quality of life hit, but "Hey, what have you been *HAAAAAAWWWRRRRRK* up to... *HAAAWWRRRK* lately?" does not do wonders for my social life (As my ex would certainly attest *smirk*).
The only thread of a possible solution I found in another comment, which I am definitely going to try.  This person was given Levaquin, 500 mg, for 30 days & has had good success with it.  The reason why I think this might be a very good answer to this horrid phlegm problem that we are all writing about & almost willing to sell our soul for a resolution is this:  I used to have this excess phlegn problem following a 10 day regimen of antibiotics for a sinus infection, however, after a couple of weeks it would go away, until about 5 yrs ago, when, it decided to call my body home.  I think for some of us, a regular 10 day regimen of antibiotics cures the primary problem, but does not completely get rid of all of it, thus, we are left with this lovely coughing till we puke to try to get out the nasty phlegm to no avail.  I would give my I teeth, not to have to go through this constant hacking up stuff that looks like an alien life form.
I have an appt with an allergist that my husband has seen and I'm going to prompt him for the levaquin.  He currently has my husband on it just in order to clear out his sinuses enough so that the ENT can go in & do surgery for his chronic sinusitus.
I hope this info can help any of you out there going through this unwelcome guest in our lifes.
Since a trip to Southeast Asia April 05, I have been coughing up a white/sometimes yellow glob of mucous on a daily basis...usually in the morning.  My voice goes hoarse without warning as I hack this stuff up...then goes back to normal.  I've seen my doctor 3 times and have recieved Cipro 500 mg, Levaquin 250 mg, and a new antibiotic I can't recall. He has cultured my sputum, ordered chest x-rays, blood tests but nothing shows up?!!!   I do occasionally have a sore throat that lasts 4-5 days then disappears????   Also, I now suffer from post-nasal drip and sneezing attacks although that may just be an allergy.

The mucous is very dry, stringy and clumps together...amount is usually 1/4 teaspoon. I dont have any chest pain or tigtening, but feel less energetic.  I'm 53, great shape, 178 lbs, take no medications, dont smoke/drink.  At wits end as I know something isnt right....could this be fungal????
Since Christmas I have been bothered by post nasal drip, heavy mucus and symptoms of GERD as well.  I've been on Nexium and had 12 days of biaxin to try and get rid of whatever bacterial infection might be going on.  Nothing was working.  I went into a health food store to see what else I could try and it was suggested I start using oil of oregano.  Within 3 days my right nostril was clear and my left one is starting to open up.  I am amazed at this stuff.  For those of you suffering from these same kind of symptoms, it might be worth a try.  It a a heavy duty natural antibiotic as well as a fungal killer.  It's potent stuff so you only use 2-3 drops diluted in a bit of juice and drink it but by 3 days you should be noticing a difference.   There are a lot of articles on the internet about oil of oregano and sinus/post nasal drip/clogged nose problems so hope this helps some of you.
Antibiotics work poorly on Snot Demons, due to low blood circ to the sinuses.  The Mayo Clinic found the real problem (Google: mayo clinic snot). Once you get an infection, all the bacteria,viruses,allergens,and toxins take on a life of their own.  The cure is to get rid of the pustulence, with surgery--no way!--or advanced saline sinus flush. I got a Snot Demon for 7 yrs, teaching grade school/germ factory.  A cold in the fall, then sinusitis, lost smell then taste, Cipro, hawk spit cough, sore throat, partial recovery in summer.  Then I heard about a saline flush, like the one mentioned above.  Better yet, I used to be a swimmer, so I know how to get massive amounts of salt water in and out of my sinuses.  Miracle!  My nose got so clear it woke me up at night.  My advanced technique is easy now, but it requires a short book to safely explain, and agents won't look at it cuz i'm no doctor, or snot books lack glamour. Soon I'll find a publisher with chronic sinusitis.  Meanwhile, try one of the saline (61/2 teaspoons salt to 1 gallon distilled water) flushes from this website (the Grossan tip has possibilities) and if you get results, keep doing it for 3 days after your sinuses clear. And lay off phlegm-making dairy products and white flour til you do. I caught 2 colds again this year, with no congestion, just a raggedy throat and cough for 2 days, and no hawk spit Snot Demon.
It was interesting to read everyone's comments.  I have had a chronic cough for about six or seven years.  I remember all too well the Easter season when my allergist finally prescribed Tussionex Pennikinetic (5 ml AM/PM - 1 tsp.)and just like our writer - rflchamps - in less than fifteen minutes I had a clear head, clear throat and could take a breath without "guarding" against a cough.  

Since then (2004) we have burned out all the specialists (ENT, Gasto, Pulmonary, Immunology & Respiratory) in our area and are now working our way (I say our as my family, friends and coworkers "live" with my cough too) through all the wonderful doctors at Lahey in Boston area.

I have a new name now; "Walker the anomaly" because after trying EVERY p-n-d remedy, every asthma and cough remedy and going on/off/on/off lisinopril, nexium, advair, astelin, nasocort, singulair, albuterol, fexonfenadine (allegra generic) and others there is no abatement or solution except Tussionex.  I even go "off" it every thirty days and go through the "jags" a little and then back on the doses so I don't get "hooked" (I remember the sixties).

There is still no solution after ph testing, xrays, ct scans, methacholine challenges and every other poke, prod and ***** they can come up with for testing (yes I am allergic to everything but, I always was and the cough just started as I said earlier, six or seven years ago).  Thank heavens for health insurance.

Anyway, now I am back on Advair/500, Singulair, Albuterol, Nexium, Fexofenadine, Baby aspirin, Tussionex and vitamins daily; so keep up the spirits and will keep you all posted.

I can totally sympathize with all of you going through this most annoying problem(s) of throat clearing, cough, post nasal drip sensation, thick mucous coming out of nose, and I have the feeling of a lump (globus) on one side of my throat... etc. etc.
I have been to every specialist in my local area- have been to Dr. Koufman at Wake Forest 2 day work up 24hr pH- esaphagoscopy, etc.- she diagnosed me with LPRD I did the meds. ... no change. Then onto Dr. Irwin's cough clinic at the U. of Mass.- barium swallow, X-Rays, Methocline Challenge, bronchoscopy - dx= chronic post nasal drip.
Just came back from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN- I was sure they would figure me out.... after 4 days of Ct scans and exams with their ENT dept. and Pulmonary, I was sent home with nasal wash and Rx for Atrovent nasal spray and Nexium.
Prior to visiting these docs. I had seen 2 ENT's locally, one GI specialist for upper endoscopy, 1 endocrinologist, 1 endocrine surgeon, my primary care physician, 2 local pulmonary specialists, an ENT at Johns Hopkins (he totally blew me off- 5 min exam. and told me to come back in 8 weeks)a local immunologist ... and a Pulmonary specialist at the University of Penn. for my second set of CT sinus scans and second bronchoscopy.
I just spent an arm and a leg on my trip to Mayo, and basically they told me we can't figure out why I wheeze and clear my throat ALL the time one one side. Hopefully some of the meds. they prescibed will help.
Another strange thing about my entire situation is that this started about 3 years ago, and all the sensations of mucous, wheezing and clearing are ONLY on One side of my throat and chest- that has puzzled every doc. I have met with.
The Mayo Clinic was a great place, but even they can't figure everyone out-
Anyone else experiencing symptoms on one side only??
thanks for reading-
(If you have never been to Mayo, and can afford the trip- it is a most unique medical practice I have ever witnessed. They really do care about the patient and they are very efficient and organized and take the time to listen and address all of your concerns)
snicss
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.