Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
177 Members

Need help determining possible causes of pain, aches, and stiffness in my joints.

I am a 16 year old male and have been having pain, aches, and stiffness in many joints. The main spots of discomfort are my; knees, elbows, wrists, hands, fingers (all joints excluding the pinkie fingers), hips, ankles, upper spine, and neck.

Background: This began with just my spine and hips a year and a half ago. I went to a back specialist about a year ago and he found that my hips were severely unaligned and thought that my back pains were a result of stress from the hips. I did Physical Therapy for about 2 months, which helped to align my hips, but not with the back or hip pain. A month after ending PT my other joints began to ache and feel painful.  

Current day: My joints are in a constant state of dull aching with moderate pain, unless overused (which can cause severe pain in the joint). I recently had a labral repair (I dislocated my shoulder, which is completely unrelated to my symptoms) on my shoulder and have been doing very mininmal physical activity so I have ruled out muscle strain.

*Note* My grandfather had Rheumatoid arthritis so I could be more genetically at risk.

If you have any ideas on what could be causing my symptoms please comment. Thanks!
Hello and Welcome to our RA Forum. Please excuse my tardy response. I have out of town company - together we took a 3 day trip.

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain, especially given your age. Unfortunately RA has no age limits. Yes you do have a higher genetic risk for RA when close family members have also had the disease. RA and Osteoarthritis is rampant in the females of my family - to a lesser degree the males also.

Have the appropriate labs been done to determine if you have Arthritis - a Sed Rate and ANA? If not I hope you'll ask your parents help in getting these important labs ran. Early treatment in RA is important - it can reduce and/or prolong joint deterioration.

However don't jump to conclusions. What are your physicians telling you? has there been a DX (diagnosis)? There are other many autoimmune diseases that could account for your SX (symptoms) - or there could be other conditions that account for your pain - an undiagnosed infection?

It's obvious you require a good medical work-up. Have you discussed this in detail with your parents or medical provider? I encourage you to do so.

I'll look forward to hearing from you again soon - and wish you the very best.

Take Care,
~Tuck

Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.