STDs / STIs Community
39k Members

Question about Molluscum Contagiosum & HPV

Had a question.

So a few months ago, I began a new relationship after having ended an old one.  To be fair to my partner and ensure safety, I went and had a full round of STD and HIV testing done, which all came back negative.  This also included HSV1 & 2 (HSV 1 came back positive, but I've had cold sores that occur maybe once every other year on my lip).

Anyway, YEARS ago (when I was 16 - I'm 30 now) I had a rash of molluscum contagiosum (MC) breakout in my lower groin and abdomen.  I went to my dermatologist at the time who removed them with a metal tool of some sort and then she applied some reddish looking liquid on top.  After the "scrapings" healed, nothing ever came back.  Is it true that MC doesn't stay in your system forever and that once the bumps are gone, you no longer carry the virus or are contagious?  Doesn't seem like there's a way to test for it other than visually.  I read on the CDC's website that this is true, but I've also read a lot of conflicting info out there.

Also, back in 2008, I had a single genital wart removed from the underside of my penis.  It came back as "bowenoid papulosis" (a high-risk strain of HPV).  After having it removed, I continued putting Aldara on the spot for about a month and thankfully, nothing ever came back (knock on wood).  Since then, (six years later) I'm still ok down there.  Is it true that HPV regardless of high risk or low risk is usually cleared from someone's system?  My gf has gotten the Gardisal shots, but I just want to make sure I'm not putting her at risk.  I had mentioned to her that a while back I had had a bout of HPV that I had taken care of, so I've been honest about it, even though my dermatologist and doctor both said that if you've gone this long without a recurrence, any new wart would be the result of a new exposure to a different strain.

Is that true?  Also, am I required to disclose that I had had MC so long ago?  I imagine not since once it's gone, it's gone...if that's indeed true.

Just trying to do the right thing here...

Thanks.
You are fine and have nothing to worry about.
Hi Vance,

Thanks for the note.

Are you referring to MC, HPV or both?  Also, if my current gf and I should break up, is it recommended I share this stuff with future partners?  Over the past five years or so, I've not been promiscuous as I had been in my younger years and want to put that behind me.  Just trying to do the right thing and not hurt anyone...
Both. No I see no reason to have to tell anyone something that was years ago. If anything is active or recent, then yes.
Thanks, Vance.  I'll keep it to myself for the time being unless I notice something obvious.

Last thing (promise) do you know anything about MC?  Is that true that once the bumps are treated, it's gone forever?  Just read conflicting info is all, but the CDC website appears to agree that this isn't a "forever infective" type thing like HSV or HIV, etc.

Also, is it true HPV does indeed go away after a certain time?  My doc compared it to the common cold (the rhinovirus).  He said even though you get a cold and it's viral, it doesn't mean that virus is forever in your system.  Is that true?
Yes they go away forever
Thanks for your guidance, Vance.  Have a good day.
Hi Vance,

Apologies once again, but I saw you're a leader in many forums.  I realize you're most likely not an MD, but do you have healthcare experience?  JW.

No, just research and reading. You want a Dr's responce then you have to pay to post in the expert forum.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.