A
A
A
Close
Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) Community
49 Members
973741 tn?1342346373

Sensory in the tween years

What does sensory look like in the older years?  Sensory when my son was young was easy to spot.  Those irrational moments of being upset about shoes rubbing the wrong way, the issue of tags in the shirt, the play date issues, the melt downs, etc.  

It looks different as a child gets older. . .   but sensory is still there.  I work to identify what is sensory related with my son's behavior and what is just the age and testing limits.  It's challenging.  I want to do what I can to help his sensory issues because I've learned over the yeas, when his nervous system isn't well regulated, he doesn't just act badly but he FEELS badly.  So, I want to help him.

Which is hard because what helps him feels a bit more like work.  We have activities during the school year such as swimming almost every day with swim team that helps but during the summer, it is hard to convince him to instead of playing in the water to do a full workout.  To go out and run in the heat.  When they stop 'playing' as much because they are older, it's hard to keep them as active as a sensory kid should be.  I'm planning a hike today that we'll all do.  But it was much easier to find activities when my son was little.  I miss that!
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
Minneapolis, MN
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease