I am 47 and was in great health/shape until 2 months ago, and now I'm a mess.. I'm trying to connect it all and find lots of 'similar' posts, but still having trouble connecting it all. Hope y'all can assist.
- developed Acute Pyelonephritis 6 weeks ago - ecoli kidney infection
- 5 days inpatient with multiple IV antibiotics, fluids, and nutrients (K, Mg, etc.) - over 30 bags
- 2 rounds of Cipro when I left the hospital, and 2 rounds of Fluconizole for the related yeast
- developed a hemorrhoid (blush) after 4 weeks of antibiotic induced diarrhea
- have been taking quality probiotics since 3rd day in hospital
The latest issues and my questions:
- at my follow-up last week, I told the NP that I was having a hard time getting any energy back and craving red meat and chocolate, which led me to suspect iron levels. She agreed and she ran a lab. The results are 'borderline anemic', so they are going to run a second blood test this week to more closely check it and determine treatment.
- 15 years ago, after my daughter was born, my thyroid went haywire and I ended up on a steadily increasing dosage of Levoxyl, along with a steadily increasing dosage of Paxil, until I was taking 200 mcg of Levoxyl and 40 mg of Paxil a day. I was sluggish, 60 pounds overweight, and in a zombie-like trance most of the time. When I insisted on coming off of the Paxil after 8 years, my thyroid 'miraculously' started working again and my TSH levels went from 9-10 to 3-4. I opted for no pharm treatment and have been stable for over 5 years. However, I have a bit of a fear of going on thyroid meds again.
- My fatique at last week's appt led the NP to also suspect thyrroid and she ran a TSH test, which came back at 15.2. Yes, that's correct...not a typo. She prescribed 112 mcg of Synthroid and I picked it up yesterday. I agree with the results because I also have many of the other symptoms of hypo, but also some of hyper. I lose weight easily and am eating 2000+ calories a day to maintain 150 lbs. I get cold if I just imagine an ice cube...lol. My hair is dry and my skin is itchy, but no extreme hair loss. My eyesight has gone wacky and I have an appt with opt to address this.
So, I've been reading posts about a possible link between iron and thyroid meds since both are metabolized in the liver. What do I need to know about this if they treat the iron deficiency?
Did the extreme antibiotics and dosages of nutrients over the past few weeks affect my thyroid? When the ABs wear off, will my thyroid begin working correctly again? Is it just taking a break for a little while?
I've read some posts about AB levels and treatments being related to TSH readings. What do I need to know?
I also take Prempro and Zyrtec. I went through an early menopause due to tubal ligation and an ablation about 8 years ago. I do not have a history of UTIs or anemia.
I know this is long, but as I said, It's quite a messy puzzle. Any information or assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. BTW - I have a science degree, so feel free to be as detailed as you want/can. Thank you so much.