Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Alternative treatments

Has anyone tried curing their thyroid tumor with treatment by Dr. Hulda Clark?  My husband wants me to try this treatment first, before doing something drastic like surgery.  It seems intensive, but I guess it would be better than living a life on hormones.  Thoughts please. Thanks.
I briefly looked at Dr Clark's protocols.  To be honest, I've never heard of her before.  That doesn't mean she isn't good.  I have mixed feelings about only treating some things with alternative medicine.  Personally, I believe a balance between conventional and alternative medicines is probably the best approach, but that's just me and your mileage may vary.  

Just so you know, I'm also in the process of surgery avoidance.  My nodules, however are benign as determined by 2 FNAs.  I'm currently on Armour to try to shrink my my nodules and may be starting iodine supplement therapy sometime in the near future.  The dr I'm currently seeing practices both conventional and alternative medicine, so it's the best of both worlds.

Would you mind telling us a little more about your condition?  Do you have copies of your test results?  Do you have benign nodules or have you been diagnosed with cancer?  

Please let us know and keep us posted.

I searched Dr. Hulda Clark and was quite skeptical about what I read.  Seriously;- if anyone had really found the cure to cancer, HIV etc they would be awarded a nobel peace prize - it would be widely publicised, everyone would be singing their praises.  Alarm bells go off when people make such dramatic claims as this... it's just not realistic, BUT many people desperate for a cure are vulnerable to such people.  Your hubby is obviously a good man who only has your best interest at heart.  

Have a look at the following site who has many criticism of Dr Clark - you both should consider all the information available before using her services - personally I wouldn't go there, but the choice is yours in the end;

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clark.html

If you are still not convinced PLEASE talk to your doctor about Dr Clarks methods before proceeding.  

I would like to second Nyxie's request for more information about your condition.  Surgery is a big step - it is not much condolence but many people have this surgery and go on to live their lives and get on with things.  There is a lot of knowledge about this condition and the options... you are in a good place here... share your story and we'll see if there are any other options worth considering.  

I just want to describe thyroid replacement after surgery - you only replace what the body would usually make.  Replacement is totally different to therapeutic treatment.  Diabetics also have to have hormone replacement by taking insulin.  Menopausal women also take hormone replacement, as do a multitude of other complex conditions.  Thyroid is relatively one of the easy ones in comparison.  

Getting thyroid levels right using replacement after a total thyroidectomy is less complicated than when trying post RAI treatment or when dealing with Hashimoto's as the remaining gland can surge and wane in activity levels and affect dosage requirements and everday general well being.  It still can be a slow process to find the right dosage regardless because thyroid hormone is slow acting BUT that has benefits too.  If you forget to take your thyroid tablet for one day (once you are stabilised) it doesn't matter - and it shouldn't affect you unless you skipped 3, 4 or more days in a row.  A diabetic could end up in a life threatening situation if they forget their insulin.    

After awhile it's nothing to take just one or two tablets a day.  This is relatively simple compared to what other people have to do to manage their health conditions; injections, dialysis, and modified diet and lifestyle etc.  

Personally I avoided surgery for a couple of years - I had a slow growing multinodular goitre which was causing compression symptoms.  I always knew a thyroidectomy was almost inevitable so I had 10 years to come to terms with the fact that it would one day happen.  I tell you, it is hard to describe the wonderful feeling when I awoke from surgery and realised how bad the compression had got.  That choking feeling totally disappeared!!!  That was six months ago - No regrets.  If I kept putting off the surgery much longer it would have been more difficult and at higher risk of complications.  My thyroid was 4 times bigger than it should have been.  

Best wishes - remember you are not alone.
I just read your post from 18th May which said that surgery is due to a follicular neoplasm on your left lobe.  

There are very good AND well documented rates of cure and survival for thyroid cancer when treated by thyroidectomy and RAI.  I don't know of any other reliable method of treatment - sorry.  
~J
I promise this will be my last rant on this topic today!

I just had another after thought - Taking replacement hormones for the rest of your life would have to be better than living with cancer, don't you agree?
I'll leave it there.
~J
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and information.  I know, the whole thing does really sound bizarre.  I also realize that a life living on hormones is nothing compared to what others go through, but to be honest, after reading so many comments on these boards from people experiencing constant exhaustion, depression and weight gain, it had me really concerned.  Thanks for setting me straight.  You all seem like a very caring bunch.
Mrs hobbes,
That pain  and exhaustion doesn't last forever, they ones that have healed & feel great now no longer post , they're off living their lives. After my first severe hypo spell it took quite some to to regain feeling normal,but it does come, and now that I've had RAI I should be easier to regulate, (I go from hypo to hyper),,,you'll be okay if you have someone watching your levels closely, I know how frightening all this can be.
God Bless,
Pam