A
A
A
Close
Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members
1490386 tn?1301382186

Does anyone on here take propanolol?

Does anyone take propanolol? If so, did it work for your fast heartrate and high blood pressure? I have been prescribed that until my lab results come in next week. I have also been referred to a cardiologist. just wondering if anyone else has been through this.
19 Responses
I just took my last dose day before yesterday.  I was overmedicated on my thyroid medicine.  The worst part of propanolol for me was causing severe fatigue and mental depression that was unbelievable.  I hated every moment of taking it but some people do just fine.  And, it was a necessity that I take it because of too much thyroid hormone.  My blood pressure was 162/106 and my heartrate was 120 bpm.  It certainly did what it was supposed to do but I hated the side effects.
I take atenolol, which is another beta blocker, similar to propanolol.  It really worked for me.  I've been taking it for a couple of years now.  When I first started it, I did notice a little slowness...like I was one beat behind, but I've either gotten used to that feeling, or it's gone away.

Do you think you might be overmedicated?
1490386 tn?1301382186
Thank you! Today was the first day I have taken it. I really didn't care for the loopy feeling, but it did do what it was supposed to do. I haven't been officially diagnosed with a thyroid problem yet. I went to the ER in september and was told thyroid was on the high end of normal, meaning hypo. I was just now able to get into the doctor for fast heart rate and high blood pressure. I have to wait a week for them to get my results back and I am scheduled to come in again after they have received my results. It may sound crazy, but I am hopeing they do find something wrong with my thyroid levels. I would be so glad to have an explaination for the weird things that have been going on with my body!
215461 tn?1331866365
I take atenolol too.  The propanolol made me feel horrible, and it didn't control my heart racing and bp like atenolol.  I love the atenolol.  I have episodes of thyroid "panic" (whatever they are) and the atenolol just slows everything down.  They both work however so if you don't have symptoms propanolol is supposed to be a better drug I think.  
1490386 tn?1301382186
The only symptom I felt today was at first I felt a little loopy and spacey, then I just felt tired most of the day. it seems like it has worn off now because I am getting the heart racing again and blood pressure is climbing back up. I have had 2 doctors tell me I am too young to be having these kind of problems. I am only 28 and I am really tired of feeling like I am 80. When I was 22 I was diagnosed with panic disorder, I know what the panic feeling feels like. They are horrible and I am sorry you are having panic episodes! Do they have you on anything for the panic?
I took it when I had thyroiditis and was very hyperthyroid. I had two thyroid storms -horrible feeling -and I was put on propanolol to slow things down. Before taking it, my resting heart rate was 120, and during the storms it was somewhere around 160. I had a bad headache, chest pain, I was short of breath, had high blood pressure, and my temp had shot up to 102' F. The beta blockers were a God-send. I felt so much better on them. I was tired and had to sit up slowly, and it took about 5 days to reach a level where it didn't wear off in between doses. I'd already felt spacy and light-headed prior to the meds, so it was difficult to say if it continued as a side-effect.
I was only on it for 3 months, and then had to slowly taper it off. If you suddenly stop it, your heart rate and blood pressure may zoom upwards again. ~MM
Have an Answer?
Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
MI
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.