Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

Thyroid and Implanon side effects

I recently had an Impanon removed after two years of side effects - excessive weight gain, depression, almost non-stop bleeding, no libido etc.

When these symptoms didn't clear entirely after removal I was investigated further and am now being treated for Hashimotos. I'm slowly feeling much better.

I'm wondering now if thyroid issues maybe the real reason some women have so many side effects from Implanon?
I HAD A  HYPOTHYROID BEFORE I GOT THE IMPLANON.  I'VE HAD IT FOR 7 MONTHS.  IT WAS THE BIGGIST MISTAKE IVE MADE.  AT FIRST I HAD MAJOR BLEEDING THAT LANDED ME IN THE ER.  I WAS PUT ON SOMETHING AND HAVEN'T BLEED SENCE.  AS FAR AS THE LIBIDO ISSUE SAME THING.  SENCE I'VE GOTTEN THIS THING IN MY ARM I'VE HAD NO LIBIDO AND THIS PUT'S STRAINS ON THINGS IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.  I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING OUT THERE THAT TELLS WHAT THE EFFECTS ARE ON THE THYROID AND HAVE SO FAR HAVE COME UP WITH VERY LITTLE.  THIS TELLS ME THAT THERE WAS NOT MUCH IF ANY STUDIES DONE ON THIS.  ALL I KNOW I HAVE TO FIND INFO BACKING UP MY CLAIM THAT THE IMPLANON EFFECTS THE THYROID SO I CAN GET THIS DAM THING OUTTA MY ARM.  INSURANCE ISSUE.  IF YOU KNOW OF ANY RESOURCES PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  THANKS.  
Hi Amanda, i was reading about the side effects you experienced from this implant with Thyroids, i agree with you, this year in March i noticed a dime size bold spot (never in my life i experienced patchy hair loss) As of today this bold spot gotten to 3inches long and 2 inches wide. I went to see dermatologist about this problem and the first thing he suggested is a blood test to see if my thyroids are out of wack.First thing that came to my mind is if its the implanon that did this to me, i am also strugling to loose wait because of this stupid implanon. I feel your pain.
I think Im going through the same thing. Im 21 and had the implanon in for over 2 years. I thought it was the best thing ever untill I got depressed, I bled nearly all the time which drove me insane. Had NO sex drive what so ever. I went to the doctor and got blood tests done and found to be bordering an underactive thryoid. Iv loads of symptoms. Emotional, depressed, feel like **** al the time. I tink its safe to say Im goin crazy. I cant stand much more of it dont no if Im coming or going! My poor boyfriend is gettin worried to. And I think Im losing my hair...
I had the Implanon Implant put in just under two years ago. I immediately knew something was not right as my hormones went all over the place, I was in floods of tears and very mood swingy. My doctor insisted this had NOTHING to do with the implant as it was supposed to be much milder than being on the pill.

I was diagnosed with depression but despite being on meds continued to worsen rapidly. I have always been healthy but despite a good diet, at 5ft 6" my weight dipped to under 90lbs. I was eventually diagnosed with Hyperactive Thyroid many months later. None of the doctors made any connection between the implant and the thyroid.

My case was so severe it took about 7 months for me to recover from. I have frequently been in and out of hospital with my overactive thyroid (an illness that really makes you feel like you are losing your mind) and was in such despair I tried to take my own life on numerous occasions.

Now I hear from another Implanon user that she has had thyroid issues since getting the implant. I am almost certain the two are inter-linked and am just surprised and disappointed that none of the doctors or endocrinologists have considered this. Had I been warned of the risks I would have reconsidered my choice of contraception. If there is any kind of link between thyroid and implanon I feel so strongly that there should be information available on it, especially for women who may be genetically prone to thyroid disorders.
I have hyperthyroidism also and I'm confuse if I'm going to try the world impanon
hiya i had the implanon in for 7 years...for the first 6 months it was great no periods etc then i became so physically drained and tired i was never out of bed. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy, however when i put 2 and 2 together i realised it could have been the implanon...i had it took out about 5 months ago and had nothing but trouble. Initially i felt wide awake and fantastic and my periods returned straite away but i decided to find out if it was the implanon and not narcolepsy. I asked for blood tests at my doctours and had hormone ones done and im waiting to go back now as they have come back worryingly. I suspect it could be what others are feeling as in 7 years my weight has plumited from 11 stone to 15 stone...i am 5ft 10. I can not shift the weight no matter how i try and still feel ill...i have also had hair loss over 7 years and when the implanon came out. I am depressed and bored with life...no sex drive to the extent ive been single for 5 years now....jus cant be botherd. I have a son who is 10 and i want to be able to enjoy life with him but i just cant. I really hope people thinking about having the implant in reconsider as it has damaged me and ruined my life up to now.
nikki
Hi,I had the implanon put in May 2009, and have gotten it taking out January 5, 2010. I gained 30lb and became very depressed. At first i thought it was great! never had a period, but the past 3 weeks every other day i would have my period. I started reading reviews, and found out that all the other sympthoms i was having too. low sex drive, acne "which i never had a problem with in my entire 23 years" extreme wieght gain, which was  put on very fast,very bad mood swings, and deep depression. Mainly about the wieght issue. I was wondering if anyone knew if the wieght comes off after removal? or is it going to be something that i am going to have to work very hard at!
Please get back to me a.s.a.p. ***@****