Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

has anyone found a way to lose weight

i just can not seem to lose it and i am always hungrey. also just so tired and unmotivated. has anyone else felt like this before and gotten over it or found a way to feel better and lose weight with thyroid problems? I am on 75 mg of synthroid.
I got over the fatigue for 8 mths now.  My "brain" is working again too. I - just recently have started losing some weight that I gained. ( 35 - 40 pounds)

The key is unlocking the optimal level with meds and metobolic / hormone energy. It easier said than done through.

It took many years for me to get to where I am at right now. Many alternative tests too  - to give me and my doctor a better prespective on what I lacked to get things up to speed again.

My regimen - may not be right for you - it takes time and patience and someone skilled enough to treat you like an individual to get this problem off your back

( or your hips)  LOL

Your dose of Synthroid may not be right - you may need something added like Cytomel - or a complete switch. You may need to up your supplements - or start something else.

You may need other tests. Like FT3 and FT4 or other hormone tests too.

Like I said - it's easier said than done at times when you are getting the skimmed off version of treatment.

I agree with Stella.
Once I got my levels right, I started to lose weight on my own.
Not a great deal but 4kgs of the 16kgs I gained.
But remember one thing.....the weight you had before Meds was not your normal 'real weight'.
I was hyper with Graves and I had 'hyper weight' . I was skinny and sick looking.
I used to fluctuate for years....sometimes fat, sometimes skinny.
Metabolism slows down a lot with thyroid issues and I would be a liar if I said I knew people who went back to pre-thyroid issue weight.
I know of no-one doing this.
Losing weight is possible but it is a slow process.
Its been 10 months since I had RAI and I am only starting to lose the 'thyroid belly'.
I think when I stopped worrying about my weight, stopped being depressed over it...it kind of started to take care of itself and yes, I am losing it slowly.
Get your levels stabilised and keep them at an even 'keel' and you should start to lose some weight slowly.
But it wont happen overnight.

At present, I am roughly 6kgs overweight for my height but ya know what?
I dont really care.
I am alive and breathing and have got back my quality of life and I would rather have that than to look like a supermodel.
Your body has taken a bashing from the thyroid garbage...give it time to heal.
All the best :)
You look content in your picture and that has to mean a lot.  It gives the rest of us hope.  (no pun intended)

Hope
Hi.  it is not hopeless.  I struggled with this issue and the hairloss to the point that I was living and breathing it day and night.  I finally let go.............In September 2008  I began to look at the whole picture.  I agree with everything from the above posts.  I really began to see progress when I switched meds in June 08.  Very slow progress but, progress.  I started on supplements, increased my "me" time and saw my Doc every 5 weeks to address symptoms.  The weight has been creeping off and I am  down 35 lbs.  I have hit plateu's off and on and UGGHH, for some reason the hairloss is starting up again.  

Look at the whole picture, give it time with your levels in the right place....you have to get them where they need to be.  (this saying use to drive me crazy a year ago!)  but it is so true.  I may have missed this in your post:  Are you happy with your Dr?  Also, I keep a symptom journal and bring it to each appointment.

Best wishes.  It is a slow process for some of us but we'll get there.

Patty
I like the tracker they use on this site.  It's maybe a bit more than I am ready for at this point, but I'll get there.  
I gotta commend Deb for her post. She's a beautiful person inside and out. She has struggled very hard with her thyroid issue as I have, and we are on the same path emotionally with things.

I love how she can express her thoughts.

Her and I are so similiar in our thoughts with the same pace on our healing  - after our thyroid nightmares. And what I love is she feels wonderful on her meds and I feel wonderful on mine. Total opposite treatments after a similiar history of Grave's disease and RAI, yet completely different treatment plans.

There is healing going on - no matter what course of meds and treatments you choose. Weight loss and stability will come again for the strong minded, and they ones who learn what they need to feel well.

She found her stability in her treatment as I have. Trust me, there is an answer out there to feel well and get back to normal weight. What "normal" will be after you feel better is impossible to predict, but I can say - the weight I have on me now, doesn't absorb my thoughts 24/7 as it did when I was so ill.

AND... now that I do not obsess over it as I was, it's coming off - ( slow like a turtle) but coming off.

It's all about living again after this he//.

Very true Stella lol !

I found I was more content in myself when I 'accepted' the weight I had and then it just started to come off...slowly but it is happening.
I'm fatter than I was before RAI but so what lol!
I am happy, I am content and I dont feel 'frumpy' like I used too.
I doubt I will ever go back down to the 55kgs I weighed before diagnosis......
That was 'hyper' weight.
And then the antithyroid meds whacked the weight on so fast that I would cry day after day, month after month (and this was all BEFORE RAI).
I then got my levels right  (after going drug induced hyper a few times) and stopped being in such a rush to 'get well'.
I decided that the only way I could truly function (and Boy that was an effort lol) was to take each day as it come and if my levels werent right , or I had aches and pains ...then it was just another 'hiccup'.
I stopped feeling 'helpless'.
I stopped feeling sorry for myself but still allowed myself a 5 minute cry everyday as a stress relief.
I stopped putting on the clothes before RAI (they were depressing me even more).
But the best thing I ever did  was to get rid of everything NEGATIVE in my life and that included my THOUGHTS.
They say the thyroid issues can be so soul destroying but so too, can THOUGHTS.
Think positive, take time for you.
Yep, I am back at work fulltime even though I was full of major panic even thinking about it.
The thoughts came back.....
What if I failed?
What if I couldnt do it?
What if I got sick?
Then I told myself that no matter what...the 'what if's ' were just that.
Something that may happen but also may NOT.
Yes I get tired, yes there are days when I feel like I could lay in bed and not get up for work but I 'force' myself.
I refuse to lay down and waste anymore years in my life to Graves.
I'm not a strong person but I was tired of being who I was...someone who could barely function let alone work.
I took control of my life as I was tired of not being in control with Graves.
I used all the research I knew...made mistakes like everyone else, had doubts whether I was doing right or wrong with meds, went hyper a few times, went hypo after getting the flu a few weeks ago (and still a fraction hypo now).
Buy you know what?
Its worth it all.
Its worth every breathing moment to feel human again instead of feeling like a piece of cr@p and not wanting to be in this life because of the he// that Graves and Thyroid issues brings.
Yes, I went to he// and back many times but so too, have a lot of people here.
BUT there is light at the end of the tunnel and as long as I breathe in air everyday, I will keep the attitude I have now.
I did what most disagree with......

I DIVORCED my thyroid and left it in my past and found life after Graves.

As I said, I may go through 'hiccups' again but not the he// I went through before because mentally I more stable to deal with whatever comes my way now.
I will probably 'fall' and most probably have a few more tears but I have seen that there is life after Graves, and I am determined not to let go of that.
Good Luck to everyone who is going through the thyroid issue he//.
There is light at the end of the tunnel...never give up.
Never.

Deb

You gotta read this

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/igiveup.htm?nl=1
This is what I found to be oh so true...never a true word written.
This bit caught my eye Stella.......

For me, being healed means:

* Accepting myself as I am, even loving myself as I am, with whatever limitations I currently have, without giving up hope that I can improve - in both mind and body
    * Refusing to live in the past, and refusing to worry about the future, but instead, living for now, enjoying this time, now
    * Learning how to value myself for what's really important, my spirit, my kindness, how I live my life, instead of focusing on the superficialities such as weight changes, thinning hair, a missing thyroid, not having enough energy to be everything to everyone, and other imperfections
    * And, above all, finding within the cloud of disease, the silver lining, the positive effects that thyroid disease has had on my life.

But if you have truly done everything you personally can do, then the next step is acceptance, and moving on. It's deciding that it is time to focus on being healed, instead of being cured.
The only person who can give you permission to let go and move on is you.
But please do know that as you move on, there are many of us moving on right alongside you
**********************************************************************************************
That article is brilliant....I couldnt have put it better myself.
I wish you all the 'inner peace of mind' that everyone seaches for because...it is there.
You just have to be kind to yourself and you will find it.
ACCEPTANCE is a big part of the healing process.
And I dont mean acceptance that you have issues, I mean acceptance that this is happening now but may not happen forever.
Acceptance that we are all human and yes we will have our bad days just like the average person who doesnt have Thyroid issues.

The one consolation I got out of all my experiences was ....I am alive
Prior to RAI, I told my Doctor one day that if this was life, I didnt want it.
I got past that just as so many of you will do.
And no matter what happens...NEVER EVER GIVE UP.
And you say you are not strong.  I guess it's in the eyes of the beholder kiddo.  I'm proud of you.  You are strong.  You've proven it.  Being strong doesn't mean not having a wimpy moment now and then.  

I loved it when you said you allowed yourself a 5 min cry.  I was getting tired of feeling sorry for myself one day and I only had two tissues left.  So I allowed myself a two tissue cry.  From now on I only take two, so when the second one is done, I have to be done.  I have to get up and get moving.  Forward.  What do I have to do next and move on it....

Believe me form the bottom of my heart when I say ...I am not strong.
I still had doubts like veryone else here but I wont let them get to me.
I shut them out...they have no place in my head anymore.

Gees, I should own the KLEENEX factory by now lol :)
I gave up on tissues and resorted to face washers (hehehe)

Buy a notepad, write down every symptoms everyday......write down the dose of meds and file yr blood test into a folder.
Kep the notepad on the kitchen bench where you make coffee and journal everything.
Then when you are not sure whether you are hypo or hyper.....refer back to the notes as both Hyper and Hypo sysmptoms can be the same and you can also get crossover symptoms.
Take yr pulse every morning and every night......write it down.
Slow pulse (around 60 is hypo or heading hypo)
fast pulse is Hyper (100+)..if this high, take beta blocker as prescribed and get labs done BEFORE you atke any thyroid meds.
This was MY way of doing things and it worked...cant say it will for everyone though.
Many times I would be sitting on the toilet taking my pulse lol (boyfrind laffed his head off ).
But it was my way of tracking my symptoms.
Try it, you will be surprised.
I dont do it much now as I have got to know my symptoms but in the early days of Brain Fog and Graves Rage (lol) ....its hard to remember EVERYTHING.
It is so much easier if you have written it down.
I took the notepad to the Docs everytime I went and went through it with him.

Hope that helps :)

I skyrocketed up to 102kgs and am now down to 69kgs. Even though I was hypo at the time, I did not blame my thyroid as a way of not losing weight...I got the news my aunt had diabetes from being overweight. Here in Australia there were ads on television saying if a woman's waist measurement was more than 82cms she would be at higher risk of getting diabetes. Mine was like at 107cms! So I looked at my life and my excersise and I decided that even though it would take a while and it has (two years actually!) I would NOT allow myself to be at risk of diabetes.
  I started a food diary, and was stunned at how many calories I really was eating. So easy to forget what you ate in a day. My plate sizes were too big so I gave them away and got smaller ones. I also worked out when my fatigue was at its worst and I worked around my hypo symptoms.
  I am not saying it was easy, it was bloody hard work, and I MEAN bloody hard work.
But it can be done. The hardest part is to not get disheartened when you don't see any changes.
   I remember reading somewhere that even though a person is hypo thyroid, a calorie is still a calorie and it burns the same as any other calorie. It is more easier for the calories to remain as fat on our bodies as the metabolism slows the system down.
   The trick is to BURN a calorie off. You don't have to starve yourself, but find foods that will fill you up so you don't feel as hungry. Oats, for breakfast instead of normal cereal, soups with tons of vegies in them, things like that will be low in calories but high in fibre and fill you up and be good for you as well!
The motivation is hard to kick in when you feel fat and frumpy, and I do understand that feeling. I am thin now and I sometimes feel bleurgh, but I keep a photo of myself (it's on my medhelp page, just highlight my redheadaussie and it will take you to the photos) when I was at my heaviest as a reminder of not to lose motivation. Even though I am hyper, I have low Free T3 and it gives me many hypo symptoms...gaining weight easily is one of them....so I HAVE to keep moving!
  I started doing little things ONLY when I felt like it..No need to lock yourself into a routine of a set time every day...man! THAT is sooooo boringly unmotivational when you really don't feel like it. I rode a stationary bike for 20 minutes on a very low speed to start with...even that would help burn off a few calories. Then I progressed up to only walking 10 minutes. Then I would park the car further away from the bank or post office, what ever..(not heavy grocery shopping!) you would be surprised how easy it all becomes after a while to burn extra calories.
   Perhaps your medication could be increased for a couple of months to see if that helps you at all too.
   I know people here have raved about some other members doing well, and that is great, but I don't know if that's the kind of help you are after. Yes, the acceptance will come, but right now I think you are asking for help in how to feel better and lose the weight.
  If you need any motivation just look at my two pics and message me for any help you need (ideas etc)
Good luck!