Thyroid Disorders Community
26k Members

thyroid

i just had a thyroid untrasound done and it said i had 2 nodules on my upper left lobe that measures 1.7cm and 1.5cm. are they big enough to worry about
Did the report say what characteristics they had?  Were they solid, cystic, mixed, vascular, irregular, smooth and/or round??  Lots of factors, but you should keep searching for an answer.  You may want to get a FNA if they are not cystic, generally solid or mixed nodules need to be checked for cancer.  You should also ask exactly what the tests revealed, some doctors consider "normal" range that is not what we thyroid sufferers would consider "normal".  The optimal TSH is between 3.0 and 3.5, but doctors will say anything from 1 to 5 is normal.  Try to get the exact results, then post them.
yes you need to have the nodules biopsy asap. Make sure not cancer. The percentage of the cancer is small I would still make sure any growth is something to worry about. Tell your Dr. you want that done as soon as you can to make sure it is not cancer of the Thyroid. Early prevention is the key in curing cancer now. Good Luck I have eight nodules and had a biopsy and pet scan because I had breast cancer. They were not cancer but are causing  my metoblisim to slow down and getting harder to lose weight. I am having them removed. They can turn to cancer and cause you swallowing problems as the increase in size they grow. good luck hope I helped you. Oh ya my cancer was three tumors less than one cm. and I did not have to have radation nor chemo because I got it early.
I'm not a doctor but I have a history of thyroid problems (my immune system turned on itself) Hashimotos thyroiditis. The growth(tumor)  became larger and larger over a period of time. Make sure your doctor keeps track of it on a regular basis and can tell you why it is occuring (never ignore a growth)
wawee919  
THANKS ALOT FOR REPLYING BACK SO FAST. IM 29 YEARS OLD WITH THREE LOVELY CHILDREN AND I FEEL SO BAD AT TIMES IVE GAINED ALOT OF WEIGHT, TIRED ALOT. IVE WENT TO MY PRIMARY DOCTOR AND HAD THE BLOOD TEST RAN AND THEY COME BACK WITHIN NORMAL RANGE, I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHATS GOING ON, SO THATS WHY HE SCHEDULED ME FOR A U/S THAN I JUST HAD THE SCAN DONE IM WAITING ON THEM RESULTS. I HAVE A QUESTION DID YOUR DOCTOR PRESRIBE YOU ANYTHING FOR YOUR NODULES EVEN WHEN YOUR BLOOD TESTS WERE NORMAL?
I have a multi-nodular thyroid. As Manmom said, the need for aspiration and biopsy depends on what kind of nodules they are. My TSH was low-normal, as was my Free T4,  so I was told I was "not hypo" and they would just "watch" them and do another ultrasound in a year. They could tell from the ultrasound that they were not likely to be cancerous. I already had hypo symptoms and they became MUCH worse. I was finally put on a low-ish dose of Synthroid to "control the growth of the nodules, not for hypothyroidism". My symptoms grew even worse and I insisted on adding T3 to the T4  and the usual fighting with endos ensued while I insisted on raising my Free levels. My nodules shrank and have been stable for several years on my current combination of T4 and T3. It appears I have some kind of conversion problem. I wouldn't let anyone do any kind of surgery unless it is absolutely necessary, and the type of nodules will determine that. My TSH is below .04, btw, with NO indication I am hyper, so don't let them rely on your TSH alone. All the endos say I am killing myself taking unnecessary medication, but my PCP sees what happens when my meds are lowered and works with me. All my metabolic labs have returned to normal, my blood pressure is back to it's previous low norm, my hair has stopped falling out and I've lost a little weight after getting my Free T4 to mid-range and Free T3 into the upper 1/3. My heart stress test is excellent and my bone density is a little better than it was, so PPOH to the endos. Don't be scared, you may not need to be. Focus instead on becoming informed and pro-active for your health !
All the best.
You are very knowledgeable about the use of T3 and T4; how did you learn about  the use of the combination? The endocrine system is so complicated with so many variables involved!  I've had thyroid cancer and my goal of treatment is different.Synthroid 125 is still not alleviating my symptoms, and I refuse to go up any higher because of the side effects. How  did you know to raise your free T3 and T4? Best of health to you ! Thanks for sharing knowledge with us
wawee919