Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Abdominal Pain

For a few days I have been having pain in the lower left part of my abdomen as well as some pain in the center. I have also been having a lot of gas and some nausea too. I finally went to a walk in clinic today to see a doctor. He did an x ray of my chest and abdomen which showed a dilated colon and lots of gas and stool in the colon as well. He says I'm probably too young to have diverticulitis and that I should eat more fiber and see if it clears up. Is this the right course of action or should something else be done? Also the urine sample had trace red and white blood cells. The doctor didn't seem too concered about any of this.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There are various causes for left lower abdominal pain. I understand you have undergone several investigations. Please go through this and see if something was missed . Pain and discomfort on the lower left side of abdomen just below and to the left of  navel can be due to several causes such as Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, infection in kidney, kidney stones, adhesions, polycystic ovary in females, IBS, constipation, and an abscess in rectus abdominis muscle or psoas muscle. Since you do not have a lump or a tender hot spot, in all probability it is not a muscle. It could also be a periumbilical hernia that has got trapped resulting in small bowel obstruction or mesenteric ischemia. There is a possibility that there is a stone in the urinary system. This also causes pain that can be felt in groin and hip area.
Since you have white and red blood cells in urine, cystitis, kidney or urine infection and stone in the urinary system should be ruled out first. A CT scan of lower abdomen and pelvis should be done.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!