Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Any Ideas?

Hello. I apologize in advance if this rambles. I am a 30 year old female who has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism with a hot nodule(this is the only confirmed diagnosis I have been able to get from 5 different doctors) This matter may or may not be related, but I figure it is better to give all of the information. I have been very sick for the last 14  years of my life. It started out with just general fatigue and muscle soreness and weakness. Now, for the last few years, there is a bulging pain I get from time to time directly below my ribcage on my left side (sometimes, it even hurts to touch). It gets worse if I eat anything greasy (like bacon) and I actually get nauseated and sometimes need to vomit to relieve the nausea. Once, I vomited 3 hours after eating, and all the food was still in my stomach. I bounce between constipated and loose(non-watery) stools, but that may be due to the hyperthyroid. When I have a bowel movement, the pain will sometimes lessen. My last few bowel movements have been large with white (or grey... can't really tell) spots in it. I also get really bad heartburn. Sometimes so bad, my throat feels like it's on fire. Symptoms get worse when I am stressed or upset (usually my heart will start racing, and my pulse and blood pressure will sky rocket, but again, that might be the thyroid thing). I had a barium enema, and the radiologist said it was "basically normal", and they checked for blood in my stool and didn't find any. One of my grandmothers had polyps and died of stomach cancer, and my other grandmother died from pancreatic and lung cancer, so I am a little concerned. I am just so tired all the time, and it makes the worrying worse, which makes the symptoms worse. I am rhematoid positive and have high titer speckled ANA, but have not been diagnosed with anything. I should also point out that I took a lot of antibiotics as a child for genetic vesicoureteral reflux. If you have any insight, I would be ever so grateful!

A few other things which may or may not be relevant:
I am prone to acne (sometimes the painful cystic kind), even at my age, which neither OTC nor prescription meds seem to be able to help.
I am constantly battling with iron-deficiency anemia.
In the last year, I have begun smelling burning rubber and smoke that no one else can and tasting ammonia.
I have severe allergies which lead to chronic sinusitis at least twice a year, if not more. Traditional allergy meds don't always help. (Claritin seemed to help for about a week and then stopped helping.)
I have an ovarian cyst.
I have trouble falling asleep, and when I do fall asleep, I seem to spend most of the night having lucid dreams and then have trouble waking in the morning (even if I let myself naturally wake up, I still feel lethargic)
I have a nodular rash on my foot (which recently spread to my hand) that has tiny clear fluid filled pustules that burst easily and leave tiny pin sized holes and don't seem to be responding to cortisone... in fact, cortisone and moisture of any kind seems to make it worse)

I’ll try to give answers to your questions one by one.First of all concerning your hyperthyroidism. Various treatment modalities are there for hyperthyroidism.These include beta-blockers , antithyroid medications like methimazole and propylthiouracil (PTU) ,radioactive iodine and surgery of the thyroid gland.Pls discuss these options with your doctor.

Secondly,nausea,vomitings,abdominal pain esp below the left ribs and alternating constipation and diarrhea are giving the possibilities of pepetic ulcer disease,chronic pancreatitis and irritable bowel syndrome.Pls get an ultrasound or CT abdomen and upper GI endoscopy done by a gastroenterologist to confirm the diagnosis. Raise the head of your  bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods .You can also take antacids and Prilosec for gastritis.

Thirdly,smells of rubber or smoke or ammonical taste can be due to halitosis(due to infections of the oral cavity or poor hygiene),smell from the sweat or smell due to nasal or sinus infections. Ammonia smell of the sweat or taste could indicate liver or kidney disease.

For your ovarian cysts pls consult a gynecologist and for sleep disorders,sleep studies may be required by a sleep specialist.Also take some iron supplements for anemias.

Hope my efforts to guide you will prove helpful. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.