Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Cough,headache,eye pain help?

Okay, so I've had a headache/ cough congestion for about 4 days now. My head is to the point where it hurts allll the time. My eyes hurt,  if I move them quickly or if I look up it hurts my head. My cough isn't much better either I keep loseing my voice. I've only been taking advil/ stuff like that for my headache but I stopped because it's just not working. Does anyone have any ideas?

Your symptoms are suggestive of sinus headaches and sinus inflammation or sinusitis. Sinusitis is an inflammation of the nasal sinuses. It is usually caused by infection (bacterial or viral), but can also be caused by allergic reactions or other responses to environmental agents.Two sets of sinuses are present under the cheeks along with two above the eyes and some small sinuses.In sinusitis,they become inflamed and cause pain. Worse pain in the morning because mucus has been collecting and draining all night.

Diagnosis can be made by examination, transillumination, xrays, a CT scan, or an MRI.

Treatment of sinusitis involves Oral antibiotics (usually 10 to 14 days). They are to be taken on prescription. You can use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) like Ibuprofen. However, you should not use decongestants for more than 5-7 days at a time. Symptoms can also be relieved by using a saline nasal spray or a nasal spray that contains corticosteroids. Corticosteroids work by helping to reduce inflammation and congestion.For the prescription of these drugs,pls consult an ENT specialist.

The golden rule for chronic stuffy nose is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water, helps to ease your symptoms of catarrh.

Avoid indigestible, spicy, foods and meats. Eat simply or wholesome food. Obtain needed out-of-door exercise, sunbaths, and swimming. It can also be treated using an antihistamine nasal spray. Antihistamine works by blocking your immune system's response to the allergen. Severe and chronic cases may require sinus drainage.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any other queries.