Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Epstein Barr Virus Issues

I am a 40 year old male that has felt like garbage off an on for years always seeming to be sick. If the wind blows the right direction, I have the flu or cold or whatever the sickness of the month is.. My family is starting to think I am a hypocondriac. For the past several months, during a period of high stress, I really hit bottom. Normally I can't sit still for five minutes, now I have become a human slug feeling sick and lethargic all the time. I feel like I have the flu all the time without the fever. Severe headaches occasionally that twice resulted in hospital stays thinking I had spinal menengitis. Proteins have shown up in my spinal fluid for years. Had three spinal taps in the last 6 years all positive for proteins.

Recently after changing family doctors, my new doctor tested me for EBV and the results came back off the charts. I had Mono as a teenager so this is not a new infection. My EBV Nuclear Antigen Ab, IgG came back at 848 AU/mL, EBV Early Antigen Ab, IgG came back at 49 AU/mL, and my EBV Ab VCA, IgG came back at 2537 AU/mL. Anything over 120 in each category is considered postive. So, now that I am having a full blown attack what can be done. I was put on Valtrex 500mg once a day but after researching treatments that seems way low. I read one place that said 1000mg every 8 hours for up to 3 months.

My question, I am very conserned about all the other possible after effects of having a chronic EBV infection such as cancer, Multiple Sclerosis, and pancreatic problems. How long can an attack last? What else I could be doing to help things along. Are there specialists in the field of treating chronic cases of EBV? Are their places I can tell my family doctor to go for more research?

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am also equally sick of finding complete garbage "Natural Cure" quackery sites. Anyone have any real help to offer I would be very interested.

I would consider speaking with your physician about chronic fatigue syndrome and/or checking out MedHelp's fibro/CFS board as well.

Thanks I had considered that but CFS also seems to be catch all for any disfunctional disorder that  can't easily be explained with science. I am not saying the disease doesn't exist but I found as many real (universities and gov't) medical sites that claim a connection between EBV and CFS as I have found that discount the connection.

Do you have information I should check out besides this forum to investigate? I am also trying to figure out what the numbers above mean? Is a 2537 VCA number huge or moderately big. There is alot of research papers I read that scares the living **** out of me about Multiple Sclerosis and Cancer being a possible outcome of Chronic EBV.

I am sure I am wrong to do this, but when I here someone say they have Fibromyalgia or CFS I roll my eyes. It is tied to so many quakery sites. If you do a Google search the first five pages are junk sites trying to sell you miracle "natural cures" with everything from red algae to a "special blend of herbs from asian monks". That is a major red flag to me. I have trust issues when it comes to the internet with all the **** out there. I know it is one of the greatest research tools known to man right now, which is why I am here, but only if you can trust the data.
Just found this article backing my statements.

This is from Mayo Clinic infectious disease specialist James Steckelberg, M.D. "it was once thought that reactivated EBV infection might cause chronic fatigue syndrome. But doctors no longer believe this is true."

Well guess what ? I do have CFS and will tell you that this illness is very real. (unfortunately) The CDC and other agencies from around the world know this as well. After more than 3,000 research studies on CFS, there is now abundant scientific evidence that CFS is a real physiological illness. It is such a shame though that the name really does not fit the illness and that people with CFS often have to see many physicians to get an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment.

http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/pdf/Basic_Overview.pdf

About EBV and CFS... there is so much more to the story.... a lot more. If you had a  profile, I would send you some more information. I would suggest googling, "Dr. Mark Shaw" and "What Causes CFS" and reading that article (Part I & 2).  I would also suggest that you also check out that research study that has been successful in possibly curing CFS patients using a powerful anti-viral (Valcyte). The co-founder of PetsMart was on the original study and he is now jogging again. He said he had CFS after a flu-like illness and I believe he was disabled when he participated in the study.

"Is a 2537 VCA number huge or moderately big."

Do you have a copy of your lab report ? It really depends on the methodology the lab used. My EBV Capsid IgG Index was 4.99; which means it is positive and the titer is off the charts.
Thanks so much, I did research CFS on the CDC site and printed the very article you suggested before I read it. The symptoms it described is scarying the hell out of me. I can count just about all of them and I don't like to see that. I hope you understand what I was talking about with all the quackery tied to CFS. However after reading the part regarding memory loss I got concerned as this is something I have experienced a great deal over the past few years and it is getting worse. I was contributing this to something else. I will update my profile now I would very much like your input since you have the knowledge to share. thanks again and I would be happy to share my report data..