Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Leg/Bottom/Hip pain

I have had a horrible and sickening pain right up under my right bottom cheek for the last 9 months now. The pain is worse when I rotate forward from the hips without bending my knees, and extends down the back/inside of my right hamstring, and around to the inside of my right kneww which also becomes swollen and tender on the inside of the knee (side of my knee closest to the inside of my left thigh). My right hamstring is very tight and painful. I have seen a sports medecine doctor and a physio, chiro and osteo, no one can help me. Palpatation of the tender spot up under my bottom makes the pain worse as does massage of the legs. The only thing that seems to alleviate it at all but is only temporary, is stretching my right hamstring by putting my right leg up on a high bench or table and bending forward towards my foot and touching my right foot with my hands and holding it for about 30seconds and repeating several times. When I do this stretch is hurts my hamstring and makes a nerve like pulling pain, but after several stretches and when I stand up and try bending forward or even just walk normally the pain has temporarily gone. One doctor suggested it could be ischial tuberosity syndrome or bursitis, another said my psoas muscle, an osteo said I had a really tight pelvic floor muscle. My legs also swell daily, from my ankles to my upper thighs, but seem to be worse above both knees where most of the fluid collects. I am also having trouble holding my bladder when full, I have to go as soon as I feel the need, where I used to be able to hold on. I am not sure if all these symptoms are related or not. The pain in my leg/bottom is controlling my whole life, I have not worked since August because of it. The onl history I can think of leading up to the start of this pain was that I was over training my legs and could have done an injury then, but I had onlt started training my legs so hard because they had already started swelling daily and I thought I was getting fat before I realised it was actually fluid. The swelling started after having sclerotherapy injections for spider veins in my legs back in February this year but the swelling never went away. Can any body help me?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
A repeat dopplar study of the involved leg should be done to rule out inflammation of veins, lymphatics and clots in veins. A MRI of the inflamed area should be done. Sharp thigh and hip pain with limited and painful internal rotation of the thigh along with tingling and pain can be due to several causes such as: osteoarthritis, tendonitis, muscle pull and strain, femoral neck stress fractures, sports hernia or hidden/occult hernia of oblique aponeurosis, or Obturator or ilioinguinal nerve entrapment.
You would need all or any of the following for diagnosis: Clinical examination by an orthopedic specialist, X-rays, blood tests, MRI or ultrasonnography.
Hope this helps. Take care!

I suffered the same symptoms ... looked up information on "Pain in the Butt Syndrome"  no joke, that IS what its called ...

http://www.simplefit.net/static_pages/230/

Hope this helps ...
check with a heart doctor, and a pain management doctor.
the swelling could be due to heart or kidneys malfunctioning, and ur pain could be due to ur disc in ur lower back area.
My mother has a similar pain, hers is her sciatic nerve, its a disease called sciatia  im pretty sure. you could try googling that.
Hi guys, thank you all for your advice. I will check out that website. I should have mentioned the things that have been ruled out along the way: I did see a heart specialist as one doctor thought I may have contracted infectious endocarditis because I have a mitral valve prolapse alreay but that checked out ok, I have also been tested for diabetes and kidney function and they were both ok, I've had a pelvic ultrasound which only showed some small fibroids in my uterus, not big enough to be causing any symptoms, a hip mri which didn't show anything, saw a vein specialist and no deep vein problems, an endocrinolgist who tested my thyroid function and other hormone related things and he found two things - Celiac Disease which is gluten intolerence and IgA deficiency but he didn't think either of those could be causing my symptoms but he is sending me to an immunologist to further investigate immune diseases as aparently people that have both Celiac disease and IgA deficiency sometimes have another auto-immune disease such as Lupus. Its so confusing because I have so many symptoms and its making it hard to make a diagnosis because no-one knows if they are related or not. I think the leg/butt pain is seperate to the swelling and bladder issue but others have been looking for one thing causing it all. The pain in my leg/butt is what bothers me the most of all the symptoms as it is a constant and debilitating pain. I am going to have an ultrasound of my hamstring tomorrow so we'll see if that shows anything. I am just about ready to give up and I have become very depressed by it all.
Hi,YES,ALL SYMPTOMS ARE RELATED.