Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Lump on neck?

I'm 23, and I just discovered a small lump on my neck below my ear, behind my jaw. It's only on the left side, and it's very hard. At the end of October, I went to the health center at my law school for an on and off fever, weight loss, and other miscellaneous symptoms. They did the mono blood test and I was positive. I seemed to get through it pretty easily, though my throat was miserable for 2 weeks or so and I was exhausted for those two weeks as well. Recently I've been afraid I was relapsing or something. For the last few weeks, my appetite has diminished again and I've lost more weight, and I've been really tired. I've had random days where I have a fever, then the next day I'm fine again. I don't have a sore throat at all, however. I didn't have this lump at all, either, but I'm not sure when exactly I got it. I just noticed it today when rubbing a stiff neck. Am I getting mono again or could this be something else? I want to get to the doctor as soon as possible, but I've only been in my current location for about 6 months and have to find a doctor around, as well as make time during law school.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Yes, it can be a relapse of mono. It can also be due to ear infections, tuberculosis, dental caries and upper respiratory infections like sinusitis, pharyngitis etc.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!