Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Lump on side of neck.

When I was pregnant with my son in 2007 I noticed a lump on the side of my neck (its right under my jaw line and isn't noticable by sight).  I asked my OB about it and she said it was perfecty normal during pregnancy and didn't even check it out.  Well I still have the lump and my son is now 19 months old.  It doesn't seem to be getting bigger and isn't painful.  I do have insurance through the state of oregon but no primary care providers are ever taking new patients when I call so I am stuck with worthless insurance that I can only use if I go to the hospital or an urgent care facility.  So going to a doctor to have it checked is near impossible at this point.  So I am just looking for any information.  I'm hoping this is nothing but am scared it's something.
  *I tried measuring best I could and what I got was it's about 2 inches long.
This kind of bump can be a swollen lymph node,a sebaceous cyst or a benign tumor. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes.Treatment is usually cold compresses,over the counter anti-inflammatory analgesics(pain killers) like acetaminophen or ibuprofen,antibiotics if cause of infection is suspected to be a bacteria and surgical drainage if there is any abscess formation.

Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that has a lining that resembles the uppermost part (infundibulum) of a hair follicle and fills with a fatty white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis.It is usually painless but can become painful if infected.Then antibiotics are needed.

If the symptoms worsen or the lump starts growing in size or becomes painful,then pls get it evaluated from a physician.I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind regards.