Sepsis and Septic Shock
Can Sepsis cause loss of memory? My grandmother was admitted to the hospital a little over a week ago with septic shock.. it has sense been a roller coaster for us... but she is doing extremely well and is going to make it :) and they are going to release her tomorrow morning...... however...she is a 72 year old female...relatively healthy until this episode... who lived alone and still works the same job she has had the last 50 years... very independent... However... we noticed in our visit with her earlier at the hospital...that she can't remember certain things... She asked why my grandfather wasn't there... and he passed away 30 years ago.... she also doesn't remember where she lives... she recalled the house from 30 years ago that she lived in with my grandfather... there are other things that she doesn't remember that my mom and i just found odd... My question is can sepsis cause memory loss and is it just temporary or will it all come back...

thank you for your help
Holly
Temporary memory problems are not uncommon after a serious illness, especially if she was on a lot of medication for pain. It sounds like she was at risk of dying. If so, she was clearly very ill, and was probaly drugged out of her mind. I know that must have been very scary to hear her talk like that, but chances are she will be fine. If you continue to see major problems, you should get her in for an MRI to see if she somehow got brain damage from the severe infection. Good luck.
A related discussion, septicaemai and complications was started.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.