Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

Stabbing Left Upper Quadrant Pain

For the last week or so I have been having stabbing pain in my left upper quadrant, just under my breast. When I take a deep breath the pain intesifies severely. Today, the pain spread from the front of my body into the back and also up into my left shoulder. I am not sure if it is related or not, but I have had some pain on my left side around where my kidney is for about the same amount of time. Does anybody know what this could be? I see a doctor in a few days but I am wondering if anyone else has had the same pain or knows what it could possibly be.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
It is slightly unusual to experience pain in that area. This could be due to stomach (as in acidity, GERD), pancreas (pancreatitis), spleen (abscess or lump or enlarged spleen) or heart (heart attack). Pin getting referred to shoulder should be investigated for heart pathology. Also a pain radiating to the back could be due to pancreatitis. It could also be a pain of costochondritis.

You will need to undergo CT scan, EKG, blood tests etc. to reach a diagnosis. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Lets see what your doctor says. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!