Aa
A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

What causes high ggt (other than alcohol and NSAIDs)

My ggt is 122, but I don't drink alcohol more than about 1-2 glasses of wine per week.
I take levothyroxine daily for hypothyroid.

I have fatigue, and joint pain.

What is going on?
1 Responses
1756321 tn?1547098925
I'll assume you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis since it's the most common cause of hypothyroidism. And so the condition that is suspect is Lupus since it's a listed cause of elevated GGT, fatigue and joint pain.  The following info is from the book "The Everything Guide To Thyroid Disease" by Theodore C. Friedman, MD, PhD and Winnie Yu Scherer:

"Although the majority of people with Hashimoto's will not develop any other disorders, it's important to know what some of these autoimmune conditions are in case you do start to experience symptoms. Keep in mind, too, that you may be more likely to develop Hashimoto's if you have one of these other conditions.

Type 1 diabetes
Pernicious Anaemia
Addison's Disease
Vitiligo
Celiac Disease
Alopecia Areta
Systematic Lupus Erthematosus (SLE)
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Sjogren's Syndrome
Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)"

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, autoimmune pernicious anaemia (was my first autoimmune disease), vitiligo, and alopecia areta.

Excerpt from Medscape - Gamma-Glutamyltransferase...

GGT levels are increased in patients with liver diseases in general, including the following:[6]

Hepatitis (acute and chronic)
Cirrhosis
Liver metastasis and carcinoma
Cholestasis
Alcoholic liver disease
Primary biliary cirrhosis and sclerosing cholangitis

Extrahepatic causes for GGT level elevation include the following:

Pancreatitis
Carcinoma of prostate
Carcinoma of breast and lung
Systemic lupus erythematosus
Alcoholism
Congestive heart failure and chronic coronary artery disease: The level of elevation correlates with the risk of death secondary to cardiovascular disease.[7]

GGT levels may be increased due to medications, such as carbamazepine, cimetidine, furosemide, heparin, isotretinoin, methotrexate, oral contraceptives, phenobarbital, phenytoin, and valproic acid.[8]

Smoking may cause elevated GGT levels.[8]

GGT levels are higher among blacks.

GGT levels may be increased in mononucleosislike syndrome (MLS).[6]

Decreased GGT levels are associated with hypothyroidism[1] and early pregnancy.[8]"
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.