Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

lump under sternum

I recently felt what feels like a lump under my sternum, it feels like its connected to my sternum and only way i even relized he was there was because i was feeling around my stomach area one day.

It really doesnt bother me but lately ive been noticing it more and more. I dunno if its all in my head just because i found it. Im just wondering if I should go see a doctor, ive read of the xiphoid process and im not sure if thats what it is.

Ive also just had x-rays done on my chest and ekg also for heart examinations which all came back normal, this was about 2months ago, so im thinking if there was something there it wouldve shown up on there, wouldnt it have? Anyone else just suddenly notice something like this, or have any clues on what it may be?
Hi, I have the same thing, feels like an inch long and it hurts when you press on it.  My doctor did the same and took X-Rays and nothing showed up.  I am going for a CT Scan on Tuesday, although it may be nothing I would rather spend the money to find out it is nothing rather than to ignore it and it actually be something serious.  So I recommend you go ahead and get it checked.  Better to be proactive and find it is nothing.
Wow -It's like I'm reading my own story.  I have the same thing as well.  Mine sits on the right side only and seems to be getting bigger.  It didn't bother me until about two weeks ago...although it's been there for at least 4 months.  

It's getting to be that the only comfortable way to be is standing with my back perfectly straight.  Feels like this thing is digging into my insides.  From what I can tell - that's not a really good thing :(

I had x-rays and they all came back normal (about 4 weeks ago). I have an appointment on Tuesday with an orthopedist...is this who I should be seeing?
Deja vu....I'm having the same symptoms...end of sternum is tender, seems like a knot or bigger than I remember, feels like it's digging in some times, best relief comes from sitting upright with back ramrod straight....sometimes ibuprofen helps...

Last visit to family doc, had ekg which was good, and he felt around and wasn't alarmed.

...feels pretty uncomfortable and weird though
Same thing here. Mine is off to the right a little bit, and doesn't hurt but I notice it when I jog. I went o to the doctor, and he told me that it's not a lump on my xiphoid process. It IS my xiphoid process. He said it's off to one side because people aren't necessarily perfectly symmetrical.That doesn't explain why it's uncomfortable. I may insist on x-rays but he assured me that it wqas nothing to worry about
Well, me too.

I have noticed this lump for nearly 4 years with it becoming tender/irritated at various intervals. I also was noticing that there seemed to be a blockage in my esophagus about the same place to the point where it was difficult to swallow something wellchewed, or small, or even drinking water. When it would get like that, swallowing something really chunky would ease the discomfort. I finally went to the doctor, and he examined the lump, declared it to be the xiphoid process, but ordered a CTscan because of the esophagal discomfort. They did the kind that involves somesort of dye. Well, it came back totally clear, and I was left to wonder if it was all in my head, or how I could prove that it wasn't all in my head. I'm so glad to find this site.

Since I found out it is made up of cartilage, I've decided to try and take supplements that are supposedly able to address the problem. We'll see if it works or not. Maybe it will help my knees too.

Do any of the rest of you have other cartilege or joint struggles as well?
I have this lump just below my sternum--it's boney and has a hard mass that goes with it about the size of a chestnut. I felt it was there early August 2008 and I'm still stressed about it right now. I even have at least three lymph nodes swollen--one at the back of my ear and one on each where the sideburns are. the lymph nodes came after a very bad cough that took me two weeks to recover from. I am having some back pain (bearable though)--and that's the worst thing I can say I have as of. I was looking for hints as regards my condition and the nearest possible case is Benign Limpoma or Hodgkins Lymphoma... I hope it's the first one. I don't want to die yet.
I went to a hospital to have my lump checked by an oncologist. he said there's nothing to worry about. It's not lump. It's my xiphoid process. Swollen right then because of too much pressing and attention I've been giving it for the past 7 or 8 months. He even denied me when I insisted to undergo biopsy. I pointed out to him that I also have lymph nodes... weak immune system he said--not getting enuf sleep lately. The lump like appearance of my xiphoid process was because I lost weight due to dieting and gym. He told me to take a lot of Ascorbic Acid, Anti-stress Tabs, Amoxicillin, and a lot of water. I was so relieved... It was so wonderful knowing that all the while it was just a simple case overworrying and false alarm.
Me too but I think it may be because one of my ribs got turned when I strained to pick up a heavy object this winter and that started it. I too have lost weight, but I think I strained myself picking up our granddaughter. I went to a chinese med site and they said to work on the gallbladder with herbs, could it be a swollen gallbladder?
I also found that it could be Chondroititis, inflammed cartilage, may go see the doctor but looks like you all didn't get any help so I may go to the chiropracter first.
I thank so much everyone here for the explainations, even tough, I will make sure to visit a doctor very soon! But, OMG, I completely freaked out and because of that, it almost seems like a started feeling other issues, like hard to breath, pressure on my chest, etc....the mind is very powerful and it can really create things and makes you believe it like it was a fact!
Thanks everyone, it really helped me and calm me down a little bit!
Hey everybody

Thanks for your posts!  I have the same walnut sized lump at the apex of my sternum.  Based on your replies I think it might have emerged from lack of sleep and having drank a bit too much beer and whiskey this past weekend (bachelor party!).   It's definitely weird tho as it is tender if I press it. I'm 31 and figure it's time to get a physical so I'll let you know what the doc says. Fingers crossed it's nothing bad!

Cools
Look up Pectus Carinatum... and Pectus Excavatum.
I had tears in my eyes when reading these posts,i wasnt sure if i was the only person that had this XP lump/golf ball in our mid chest.I was really thinking that i had cancer or something else that was deadly.Because of these posts I felt brave enough to get Xrays.The doc said i was fine and that believe it or not it is more common in alot people.
THANKS to all my fellow XP lumps people (WE are OK :)
erik
from las vegas