Aa
A
A
A
Close
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25.2k Members

pectus carinatum, anxiety, and gas pain

I have a pretty severe pectus carinatum, and my neck is bent forward. I have also been developing anxiety over recent years, as well as abdominal and gastrointestinal issues. After every meal I get gas discomfort and have difficulty burping. I also constantly feel weak, tired, and have difficulty concentrating.

The issues are much worse whenever I try to do aerobic exercise, unless I can do it on a completely empty stomach, the gas pushes up into my chest and causes significant discomfort. Immediately when I jump in the water to swim, I feel the gas pushing upward (buoyancy). It causes such discomfort than I can't do these activities. After a long while, I'll burp maybe 5 times in a row, and I'll feel fine. But to completely clear my stomach, I have to refrain from eating for a long period.

I suspect my neck issue might be causing me to swallow air, as well as inhibiting my ability to burp. And I suspect the issue is a feedback loop. I feel anxious, my stomach gets tight, it pushes gas into my chest, and I feel more anxious. Lately, I've been trying to consciously push out my stomach, and breathe with my diaphragm, and not with my chest.

I have a secondary set of issues that probably aren't related. Over the years I've developed a sensitivity to caffeine, to the point where I cannot have even decaffeinated coffee or tea, or chocolate. I'll immediately get severe anxiety, a racing heartrate, and palpitations. I won't be able to sleep at all, and I'll be stressed and have difficulty concentrating for days. I also haven't been able to smoke marijuana or eat edibles, for similar reasons - less anxiety but incredible gas pain, tachycardia and arrhythmia. I also developed a soy allergy (very certain), and suspect I may also have a gluten allergy.

I guess my main question is, how would I go about a diagnosis? should I try to get a swallowing test, an MRI of my chest/abdomen? could it be some weird hernia? I went to a cardiologist who said my heart is fine.
1 Responses
1667242 tn?1487950547
The most likely diagnosis here is lower end esophagitis or hiatal hernia. This could be proved by taking a medication like omeprazole. If that gave relief then you are on the right track. It would probably also help you to talk to a Psychotherapist and/or do relaxing exercises like meditation, music and yoga. Forget about anaerobic exercises. Just walking is fine.
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1590104173
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.