Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

sore throat or mono?

I'm a 42 year old female.  For the past two days, I've been feeling flu or cold-like symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, etc). Yesterday mouth felt dry and rashy inside...today it's down my throat, like a sore throat, but I've never had a sore throat like this...even inside my mouth...red blistery looking.  

I was exposed to a smoking environment and then a lady who has pneumonia! My eyes are watery also and I am weak all over.  

I was just wondering if the mouth thing was sore throat/part of the flu symptoms, or if it could be something like mono, (never had mono /don't have a clue)...??  

By mono I guess you refer to Infectious mononucleosis, more commonly known as glandular fever in other English-speaking countries. It occurs most commonly in adolescents and young adults, where it is characterized by fever, sore throat, muscle soreness, and fatigue. Infectious mononucleosis typically produces a mild illness in small children, and is often asymptomatic. Mononucleosis is predominantly caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), which infects B cells (B-lymphocytes), producing a reactive lymphocytosis predominantly consisting of atypical lymphocytes, a specific type of T-cell that gives the disease its name.

A diagnosis of Mono can be established through examination and tests. Though, the EBV virus may remain dormant for some time and resurface at a later date. Please confirm this from a doctor though it is clear that the disease may be resurfacing of a previous infection.

You can get more information at : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis

Best regards