Urology Forum

Penis - dry skin patches

A week or so ago, I discovered two reddish, dry patches of skin on my penis.  One on the front, the other on the back.  Each are about 1cm in diameter.

These patches are covered in some dry, flaky skin and are reddish in color, and are more noticeable when flaccid.

My first thought was that these were caused by excessive and agressive masturbation, since I hadn't been using any lubrication.

Will these skin patches clear up?  Will there be permanent marks?

I am monogomous and really don't expect VD to be the cause.

Thanks.

Without seeing the lesions, it would be impossible to say what they are.

Possibilites would be a bacterial skin infection, dermatitis or a fungal infection.  Excessive masturbation can be a possibility resulting in dermatitis.  The use of lubricants or steroid creams can help with that.

If the cause is determined to be fungal or bacterial, appropriate topical creams would be a reasonable therapy.  

Of course, there are other causes, such as various forms of STDs and genital ulcers (i.e. syphillis, chancroid, or herpes).  An examinination by a dermatologist or your primary care physician can help in the evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
A related discussion, ABOUT PENIS was started.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.