Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Voiding Pain

Without going into too much detail, I had a TURP done about 18 months to remove some infected tissue. It left with three new problems:

a. UI: This was fixed with botox injections. Also have some SI, but it's minor enough to live with, at least right now.

b. If I empty completely I get a spasm-like pain that is all of 9-10 on a 10 pt. scale. Fortunately it is short-lived (15 seconds to a minute) and I can control it by not emptying. I don't know exactly where this pain is, but I know it's somewhere in my bladder or prostate. I feel it more in my lower belly than in my perineum.

c. Too explicit to talk about here, but it's also a pain issue.

My original urologist tried me on just about all OAB medications: Detrol, Ditropan, Enablex, etc. My current urologist had me try Flomax, even though I don't have a flow problem. As I said, the Botox fixed my UI, but has done nothing for this pain. (It was injected only into the front wall of my bladder.)

I have developed a theory, but I'm having trouble getting her (my urologist) to really listen. As part of the TURP, I know at least some of my bladder neck was removed. I'm wondering if, when I empty, my bladder neck gets the signal to close, but some afferent nerve endings were removed and are not present to tell my micuration center that it has closed, so my bladder neck continues to squeeze, causing the painful spasms. (I'm wondering if this is also causing problem "3.") Is this even possible? Anyone have ideas for places I could look to gather info for her?
2 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
I am not a urologist, so my insight into this question is limited.

The medications you have tried are a standard approach to conservative therapy.  

Although possible, I am not aware that the scenario you described being a common complication of the TURP.  

You can consider a cystoscopy to further evaluate the lower GU tract.  Imaging with a transrectal ultrasound can determine whether there is a residual abscess.  

I would also send the urine off for analysis and culture.

Obtaining another opinion, preferably at a major academic medical center, can be considered if the symptoms continue.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Avatar universal
Sorry, not much help for my $16.00...
Believe me, I have had all of that done, several times.

I just want to know if my theory, from the standpoint of the physiology of voiding, is even possible.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.