Women's Health: Postpartum Community

11 yr old daughter diagnosed with ADD

After about 6 months of being monitored by the school, Dr and us we finally have a diagnosis.   At 1st we had thought it was behavioral issues, then we thought learning disabilities but her basic skills tests came back very good.  Out of the criteria for diagnosing she has 8 out of 9 things they look for.  I'm greatful she doesn't have the hyperactivity with it.   We started her on medication today and I'm hoping we get positive results soon.  It's so hard watching her struggle everyday to do the simpliest things.   Wondering if anyone else has any experience with this.
What are some of the signs that one would display if she has ADD.  My 11 year old daughter has become anger lately and doesn't want to listen etc ...  She is very moody from day to day.  One day she is sweet and caring and the next she mean and acting up.  
1) often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes
2) difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities
3) trouble listening when spoken to directly
4) does not follow through on instructions,  fails to complete homework, chores
  not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand
5)difficulty in organizing tasks and activities
6) avoids or dislikes or reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort
7) often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (toys, school assignments, pencils, or books)
8)is easily ditracted by extraneious stimuli
9) often forgetful in daily activities
My daughter has all but #6.   She becomes easily frustrated and lashes out.  
Saying mean things or trying to hit/kick her sibling.
9) often forgetful in daily activities
I work in an Alternative Classroom and have several kids in my room with ADD and ADHD.  Indeed, you should be grateful it isn't ADHD as I feel that these kids do have a lot of behavioral issues.  Still ADD should be taken seriously. There should be someone to work with her.  I can't remember if ADD children qualify for special education or not... Let me get back to you a little later today after I look over some notes and while I'm no expert, perhaps I could make a few suggestions for her!  Remember, this is mild and coudl be so much worse.  These kids are still so loveable and intelligent... they just have trouble focusing!  
That sounds like typical puberty to me!!!

I feel your pain, sister, but it does get better I promise.
Thank you!   I would appreciate any advice or suggestions that anyone could offer.
What meds is she on.  We put my 7 DS on Focalian 10mg about six months ago.  His grades went from 50's to almost 80's and his disapline in school went from poor to excellent.  All this within the same month we started him in.  The only problem we have now is that it wares off before we can do after school activities such as homework or baseball.  Dr.s started him on the Daytrana patch instead of the pill on Monday.  It is time released and lasts alot longer.  So far getting him to do is homework this week has been no trouble.  We have not had baseball this week so I don't know about that.  Good luck.
I am doing student teaching in a kindergarten class right now with a 6 year old ADHD child! I have been trying to work with him a little more "one on one" and it seems to be helping him soooo much! He is medicated but is currently out of medication (a little irresponsible parenting is invoved in his case, too). So he has been soooo hyper and unable to pay attention. I feel so horrible for him because he is so smart and he WANTS to focus!!!! I just think the 1 on 1 help worked so great for him the past few days. If your school will offer that for your DD definately take advantage of that! And you are right, you're very lucky that she doesn't have the hyperactivity issue, too! :)
Yeah, I know.  Now she wants to go around the block on her bike on her own - no way from me - she hates it :-)  I have to protect my baby.  Then there are the short shorts, nope don't buy them she hates that too!!  Oh well.  She started her af all ready.  She started about three months ago - she is only 11.  
Does the emotional part have to do with ADD also? It sounds like they are about the same. It's so sad! Her grades are suffering also. She gets highly annoyed over little noises, too and then cries. It's frustrating...