15 mo old hitting head on floor

My son has been doing this for several weeks now, and I don't seem to find a way to make him stop.  He mainly does it when he's fussy and wants to get my attention.  I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself so I tell him to stop but he does it even more! Until I pick him up... I would try to not pay attention to him when he does that, but it annoys me a lot because sometimes he hits his head really hard! Anybody has experience with that? I don't think he does it at daycare, just today they were telling me how great of a kid he is! He is not THAT great at home, unfortunately!
Still not walking BTW!  He REFUSES to get on his feet and walk!  They have been trying to make him walk at daycare too, but he just does not want to!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am not sure about the walkingthing except it is normal for some kids to not start walking until 18  months.... He will do it in hisown time...

My son is 12 months andjust began recentally headbangingwhen he doesnt getwhat he wants and sometimes he does it and laughs... I was going to ask a similarquestion about itso maybe we will both get the answers...

Personally I am hopingthis is just a phase!
Helpful - 0
I have a friend who's son is 15 mos and he does the same thing - bang his head when frustrated.  From what I understand it's out of frustration and b/c the child just can't do what they want/are trying to do.  But how scary!!
Helpful - 0
I would ask his pediatrician.  Obviously he has learned that if he hits his head on the floor you will come, and maybe to him that is not too much of a price to pay for your attention.  I'd be concerned if the doctor says it can be harmful, but if the doc says a child won't hit his head hard enough to cause harm, then I'd try to ignore it.
Helpful - 0
My son is almost 15 months but when he bangs his head, he never does it in defiance or to get his way. I thought mine was the only who banged his head on stuff! Sometimes he does it on hard surfaces and most times he does it on the couch where it's soft and he always laughs when he does it. But when he does it, it's out of the blue! Must be a phase they are going through or something. When he doesn't get his way he just throws himself down and won't walk or get up. hmmmm....interesting though. I guess it's just frustration and they don't what else to do to get our attention.
Helpful - 0
Thanks everybody! Well, I'm happy to know that this behavior is somehow common to other kids!  Right... banging not hitting, sorry I used the wrong word.  He also does it on other surfaces like the couch and the kitchen cabinets.  This morning he did it on the cabinet door 3 times while I was making him breakfast.  I didn't even look at him and he started yelling after the third time!  In response, I just looked at him and said " Hold on, I'm making you breakfast!".  I have his 15 mo check up today so I'll ask his pediatrician.

I'll make another post regarding the walking thing.
Thanks!
Helpful - 0
Let us know how it goes!
Helpful - 0
My 13 moonth old has been doing that as well.  She get's mad or frusterated, she bangs her head into anything in reach.  I worry she is too young for such tantrums, and I fear she will hurt herself badly someday.  Hopefully as soon as she can communicate better, she will be less frusterated.  It is pretty awful, so good luck to you!
Helpful - 0
Back from the pediatrician... He said he definitely does it to get attention and doesn't think he could be able to hurt himself.  Therefore, he suggested to just tell him clearly and firmly not to bang his head and then leave the room.  He would probably at that point stop doing it and follow me out of the room.  At that point I can pick him up.  I'll definitely try this method not only for the head banging but also hair pulling! AUCH!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.