Women's Health: Postpartum Community

6.5 Week Ultrasound

Hi everybody! I wrote at the end of last wk, believing I was 6.5 weeks pregnant - having concieved my first period after a m/c.  I had a dr's appt on Fri. to ensure all was well, considering my circumstances, & the dr was unable to see a baby.
The woman who performed my u/s said this could mean 1 of 2 things.  Either I am having a m/c again, & it's just early, or that I am really only 5 wks along.  That's what everything was measuring up at (5 weeks not 6.5).  She added that my chances were probably 50/50,& that she couldn't say which way she was leaning. My history of a recent miscarriage and a previous complicated pregnancy in 2005 would ordinarily make her lower what she felt were the chances of this being a health pregnancy, but she did say that my gestational sac and yolk sac were both very healthy & round looking.  She continued to explain that usually even fairly early in m/c the gestational sac would look deformed (not a perfect circle) & eventually get blood around it, neither of which was she was seeing in my u/s. Has this happened to anyone who continued on to have a healthy pregnancy? Is there still a chance I may be having a successfull pregnancy realalistically? I have another ultrasound scheduled in a wk, & the dr said if they can't see a baby by then they know I have lost him for sure.
I can't help but be negative because I had a positive home prenancy test 1 day before my missed period.  If I was really over a wk less pregnant than I thought, I doubt the test could have come back positive?  Any information/advice would be hugely appriciated! Thanks!!
I would not even worry about it. I actually think I am 6wks 5 days right now. On Thurs. the 26th the transvaginal ultrasound only was showing the dead fetus sac stuck in my cervix but my numbers were still rising. Doctors were baffled. Scheduled a D&C for the following Monday 30th and low and behold another precautionary ultrasound before the D&C showed another sac in my uterus. This was on a really new high tech machine they told me. Also a reason for rising hcg.  Only the sac, maybe a yok, no fetal pole. Today 1 week later we have a fetal pole and heartbeat. (still a 10 1/2 week old dead sac in cervix). One week will make all the difference!! I'm excited for you. Let me tell you those ultrasound people won't say a thing, the first 2 ultrasounds in radiology wouldn't make a peep! I think you will be just fine! Good Luck, can't wait to hear.
If you're 6.5 weeks they should see something. I mean things happen, where the baby gets missed, i guess because it's so tiny. But it should be there. If you're saying there is a way you could be 5 weeks well then it all makes sense, and you're probably 5 weeks. I just had my ultrasound at 7 weeks 3 days, and the baby was really small, but there was a heartbeat so maybe, they just couldn't see it yet. Try not to worry because stressing dosen't help AT ALL! Good luck to you and keep us updated!
Thanks for both your input!
The dr is the one who said perhaps I ovulated late and am a week less along than I thought. I was trying to guess how possible that was.  My LMP began 12/25 and last for about 4 days I think, and I got a positive home pregnancy test on 1/24.  I was assuming I ovulated on 1/8, but to be only 5 wks it would have had to have been closer to 1/18 I think? Would a home test have been able to show positive just a week after I ovulated? That's why I am doubtfull. This is so hard, I wish I could understand what is going wrong everytime!
No I really don't think a test would work 1 week after ovulation. I had to go in the ER for stomach pains, when I was 4 weeks 3 days. They did an ultrasound to make sure that it wasn't ectopic and it wasn't, but there was no baby. The OB did tell me that your hcg count does need to be 2000 or higher to see the embryo on the ultrasound machine. At that time mine was only 885. Maybe your hormones just aren't high enough yet. I did have a missed miscarriage though like some other women, and I didn't know until I was 10 weeks pregnant, there was a sac and no baby, no fetal pole at all! It can happen, just try to keep your chin up, it's a hard thing to go through, but many of us on here have gone through it, and gotten pregnant again. I've had 2 healthy babies since then, and am 10 weeks pregnant again!! So Sometimes it happens for whatever reason. I wish you the very best, and feel free to post some more if you have any questions!!
So if I am misscarrying, does anyone know how long it typically takes? From when your baby stops progressing until you actually bleed and begin the parts of the process you can see/feel physically? I don't know what effects that, or if it would vary from person to person. I should have been 6.5 weeks on Friday, and there was no visible blood or deformity of the sacs, but the u/s technician said it measured at 5 weeks. Does this mean the process started almost two weeks ago? I think I could take more comfort in knowing I am healing - if it has to end in a m/c - than in knowing I am carrying around my deceased baby for the next several weeks.  I hope that doesn't sound cruel, I just want a chance to know and grieve for my lil one if m/c in inevitable....
Did they take your hcg levels again to see if they're rising? That's what I hope they did! They typically platau and then begin to decrease if you are miscarrying. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've had a dead sac in me for 10 1/2 weeks now that hasn't passed, but, like I said previously I'm pregnant again 6 1/2 weeks in the uterus.
WHen I miscarried naturally, I didn't even know the embryo had passed. I started spotting one day and woke up the next with like a full blown period, that lasted about 8-10 days. I was around 6 weeks that time. With the other one I had no bleeding or cramping just went for an ultrasound at 10 weeks and there was no fetal pole. I had a d%c within like 2 days, and never did have a chance to bleed. SO I really really don't know when You may start to bleed or fully pass this baby. I understand what you are saying about being able to pass it so you can grieve, you don't sound like a horrible person. It's hard enough to deal with losing one, even harder to know you're carrying him/her around. I hope you get your answers soon!
wow !!your story seems similar to mine. I had u/s vaginal done at 5 weeks said good yolk sac and nice thick gestational sac to but no fetal pole yet? when is the earliest it shows? my hcg was 4345 and two days later 9000. I'm on progestrone supp. until I can be seen on the 20th.I"ve had 3 mis and 3 d&c's. also I'm 35 so I feel this is my last chance.I don't know my lmp date either because I only have 2 periods a year.thought aunt flow was coming but bb's started to grow and ach so I took  a hpt that's how I found out pg. My nerves are totally shot so any feedback would help me too. Take care and prayers to you to.
The dr's office said they didn't want to take my hgc levels again, I actually requested it thinking it might give me some sort of answers prior to this Friday's ultrasound.  She would only say that a u/s would be more definite in explination.  I had the levels drawn at what I believed was 4 weeks and then 4.5 weeks and they were increasing as they should. It's hard not too keep your hopes up when you don't know 100%, even though I know it's just going to make it that much harder this Friday to hear any bad news.
Has anyone heard anything regarding the gestational sac and if the fact is was still "perfectly round" in the dr's words might possibly be a good sign? She said my yolk sac looked great too. Shouldn't there have been something wrong there if I was having a m/c? Or would it not matter in a blighted pregnancy? I read a little about those online...
I know that usually they should see a baby after 6 weeks. Liek I said in previous posts, I was 7 weeks 3 days with this one, and she/he was there. My other pregnancies I have never had a ultrasound earlier than 7 weeks. I don't think it's possible to show at 5 weeks. I was 4 weeks and 3 days at the hospital when they were checking this one the first time to make sure it wasn't an ectopic and there was nothing there. You may just need to wait a couple more weeks. Good luck to you and God Bless!!
Just hang in there...I know what you are talking about with the ultrasounds and them not saying anything...sometimes it makes you wonder what is going on.  Luckily my cousin is an ultrasonographer and she does it for me on the side and actually talks to me about every little detail and spends more than 15 minutes looking at me and the baby.  Good Luck!
what happens now to the sac thats not alive?  Do they remove it at somepoint?  Sorry if its to personnal a question just curious.  By the way congrats on the pregnancy, im sure that was a ball of emotions thinking you weren't having a baby and then finding out in fact you were!  thats amazing
HA, TOO PERSONAL?? At this stage, nothings personal. I'd love to tell you if they new what to do with the non viable one. The us tech popped in a vcr tape to record the ultrasound. She said it's so rare in 13 years she has never seen it and will probably never see it again. It's not a twin it is two seperate pregnancies 4 weeks apart. She is going to submit it to a OBGYN magazine. Anyways.. I see my OB on Friday if they don't call earlier and want to send me to high risk. They don't want to disturb it right now. The cervix is closed and it hasn't moved in 7 days. They say if anyone has seen it before, high risk at Arnold Palmer will be able to tell us. I'm just excited to finally see a heart beat after a miserable 6 blood withdrawls and 4 ultrasounds. Thanks for your interest :)
wow thats amazing!  Good luck to you and hope you get to hear the heart beat soon!  Is this your first pregnancy?
I am having a similiar situation.. wondering if anyone has experienced this. I went to the Dr last week.. not sure of LMP. Had been spotting all weekend. Had external & internal US done which shows I am 6wk, 4d. No heartbeat. Thought we saw somthing but not sure.  So off to the lab I go every 2 days. Monday hcg levels 51K , Wed, 65K, Fri 80K.  They are supposed to double every 2 days. ANyone ever have this lead to healthy pregnancy? I am sicker than a dog. Going in for anothe us tom. as they are not sure what is going on.
Some ladies levels rise slow. Alot of times in early pregnancy they only double every 72 hours. So that may be what your's are doing. They're still rising, so keep faith. It's kind of 50/50. Let us know and keep us updated, we're here if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask! Oh and sorry I couldn't be more help, there's just nothing to really say when that is going on besides 50/50 and that some women go on to carry a healthy baby and some dont. I've miscarried twice but have had 2 wonderful children since then and now one on the way. So you will be able to try again if things don't turn up on the positive side!! Good luck to you, and God bless!!
let me tell what is happening to me. Have yall ever heard of this? At 5wks 6days transvag u/s did not show anything.... No pg of any sort, no gestational sac, no yolk sac, no fetal pole, simply nothing. I'm so confused. They repeated my hcg it was up to 1510. It has not been doubling as it should. pretty close to normal but not quite. I go in again tomorrow for repeat hcg. Anybody have a similar story?
I have never heard of that. Are you sure you didn't ovualte later in your cycle, or maybe the dates are wrong? At 4 weeks 3 days when I had mine they didn't see anything. But at 5 weeks my levels were around like 7000 which I know there is a big range there for levels. But at the 4weeks 3 days my hcg was 885 so it sounds like you maybe about a week behin, and in that case they wouldn't see anything!! I hope this helped a little bit, but to me you sound like you're not as far as long as they think!! Good luck, keep us updated!!
Yes, I saw the heartbeat yesterday! Just waiting patiently to see where they send me next...
Aww brillient! Glad things are going ok for you now!
I went for another u/s on Monday. This time they saw a heartbeat but very weak. SO I am prego but I was spotting with brown discharge. The Dr. said not to worry about it but today it was very mucusy. Do you know what that means? I am also experiencing menstral cramping.  I go back next week for another U/S.
Oh I am so glad I found you all. I went in for my 8 wk u/s last thur. My baby was only measuring 6 1/2 wks. I have no symptoms of being pregnant never did with this pregnancy. I was shocked. OB said he saw some fluttering but no heart beat. I go back tomorrow for 2 u/s. No bleeding mild cramping through pregnancy. I was really sick with last 3 children. I was on clomid and OB said that may be why I was only 6 1/2 wks. That doesn't add up to me? Any of you not feeling symptoms?
I am so glad I found this forum....
I am 6w4days since LMP but my ultrasound showed 5w6d but with a fetal pole and heartbeat.  They said the u/s was normal development but my hcg is not corresponding.  I had 1692 on Friday,  1956 on monday and 2375 on wednesday.  i am definitely not doubling and i have had a beige mucus when i wipe about once a day.....any hope????
brz  - im waiting to hear about the sac as well....i can understand how scared you are -this is my first pregnancy and i have been on an emotional roller coster expecting the worst then a glimmer of hope....it is a lot for someone to handle...good luck and im interested to hear what the others say