Women's Health: Postpartum Community

6.5 Week Ultrasound

Hi everybody! I wrote at the end of last wk, believing I was 6.5 weeks pregnant - having concieved my first period after a m/c.  I had a dr's appt on Fri. to ensure all was well, considering my circumstances, & the dr was unable to see a baby.
The woman who performed my u/s said this could mean 1 of 2 things.  Either I am having a m/c again, & it's just early, or that I am really only 5 wks along.  That's what everything was measuring up at (5 weeks not 6.5).  She added that my chances were probably 50/50,& that she couldn't say which way she was leaning. My history of a recent miscarriage and a previous complicated pregnancy in 2005 would ordinarily make her lower what she felt were the chances of this being a health pregnancy, but she did say that my gestational sac and yolk sac were both very healthy & round looking.  She continued to explain that usually even fairly early in m/c the gestational sac would look deformed (not a perfect circle) & eventually get blood around it, neither of which was she was seeing in my u/s. Has this happened to anyone who continued on to have a healthy pregnancy? Is there still a chance I may be having a successfull pregnancy realalistically? I have another ultrasound scheduled in a wk, & the dr said if they can't see a baby by then they know I have lost him for sure.
I can't help but be negative because I had a positive home prenancy test 1 day before my missed period.  If I was really over a wk less pregnant than I thought, I doubt the test could have come back positive?  Any information/advice would be hugely appriciated! Thanks!!
I would not even worry about it. I actually think I am 6wks 5 days right now. On Thurs. the 26th the transvaginal ultrasound only was showing the dead fetus sac stuck in my cervix but my numbers were still rising. Doctors were baffled. Scheduled a D&C for the following Monday 30th and low and behold another precautionary ultrasound before the D&C showed another sac in my uterus. This was on a really new high tech machine they told me. Also a reason for rising hcg.  Only the sac, maybe a yok, no fetal pole. Today 1 week later we have a fetal pole and heartbeat. (still a 10 1/2 week old dead sac in cervix). One week will make all the difference!! I'm excited for you. Let me tell you those ultrasound people won't say a thing, the first 2 ultrasounds in radiology wouldn't make a peep! I think you will be just fine! Good Luck, can't wait to hear.
If you're 6.5 weeks they should see something. I mean things happen, where the baby gets missed, i guess because it's so tiny. But it should be there. If you're saying there is a way you could be 5 weeks well then it all makes sense, and you're probably 5 weeks. I just had my ultrasound at 7 weeks 3 days, and the baby was really small, but there was a heartbeat so maybe, they just couldn't see it yet. Try not to worry because stressing dosen't help AT ALL! Good luck to you and keep us updated!
Thanks for both your input!
The dr is the one who said perhaps I ovulated late and am a week less along than I thought. I was trying to guess how possible that was.  My LMP began 12/25 and last for about 4 days I think, and I got a positive home pregnancy test on 1/24.  I was assuming I ovulated on 1/8, but to be only 5 wks it would have had to have been closer to 1/18 I think? Would a home test have been able to show positive just a week after I ovulated? That's why I am doubtfull. This is so hard, I wish I could understand what is going wrong everytime!
No I really don't think a test would work 1 week after ovulation. I had to go in the ER for stomach pains, when I was 4 weeks 3 days. They did an ultrasound to make sure that it wasn't ectopic and it wasn't, but there was no baby. The OB did tell me that your hcg count does need to be 2000 or higher to see the embryo on the ultrasound machine. At that time mine was only 885. Maybe your hormones just aren't high enough yet. I did have a missed miscarriage though like some other women, and I didn't know until I was 10 weeks pregnant, there was a sac and no baby, no fetal pole at all! It can happen, just try to keep your chin up, it's a hard thing to go through, but many of us on here have gone through it, and gotten pregnant again. I've had 2 healthy babies since then, and am 10 weeks pregnant again!! So Sometimes it happens for whatever reason. I wish you the very best, and feel free to post some more if you have any questions!!
So if I am misscarrying, does anyone know how long it typically takes? From when your baby stops progressing until you actually bleed and begin the parts of the process you can see/feel physically? I don't know what effects that, or if it would vary from person to person. I should have been 6.5 weeks on Friday, and there was no visible blood or deformity of the sacs, but the u/s technician said it measured at 5 weeks. Does this mean the process started almost two weeks ago? I think I could take more comfort in knowing I am healing - if it has to end in a m/c - than in knowing I am carrying around my deceased baby for the next several weeks.  I hope that doesn't sound cruel, I just want a chance to know and grieve for my lil one if m/c in inevitable....
Did they take your hcg levels again to see if they're rising? That's what I hope they did! They typically platau and then begin to decrease if you are miscarrying. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've had a dead sac in me for 10 1/2 weeks now that hasn't passed, but, like I said previously I'm pregnant again 6 1/2 weeks in the uterus.