Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

Amoxycillin taken during pregnancy

im now pregnant with my first child, im in my 11 weeks pregnancy. recently i went to my dentist for a root canal, my face swollen after i got home, the next day i saw my doctor again, he prescribed me with amoxicillin 250mg to be taken 2 tablet 3 times daily for 5 days. im really concern on taking any kind of drugs during my pregnancy...i love my baby and worry it might effect it...please help me.
6 Responses
189192 tn?1261341628
You need to have some trust with your dr.  My OB/GYN gave me amoxycillin for a UT infection when I was pg.  
I agree with Tanker Chic.  Amoxycillin is classified as a Class B  drug which means no links between the drug and congenital defects exist and controlled studies in animals show no adverse effects on fetus.  Also, keep in mind that an untreated infection poses a danger to your baby.
161938 tn?1212169149
I have been on antibiotics for most of my last three pregancies
203342 tn?1328737207
I had to take Amoxycillin when I was about 2 or 3 months along with my first born. There were some drugs he wanted to give me but couldn't because I was pregnant but reassured me that Amocycillin was safe during pregnancy.
Just to let you know, that baby is now a healthy, good looking and very smart 20 year old who is in college right now! I hope that makes you feel better! :)
134578 tn?1602101550
When I did IVF they had me on antibiotics at the beginning, to protect against any possibility of infection when they transferred the embryo.  They are VERY serious about their success rates, so you know they would not use an antibiotic if it were dangerous to a pregnancy.
Im 16 weeks and am currently taking amoxycillin for a UT infection, i was worried about taking any kind of tablets as i didnt want to harm my baby (as i have had a previous miscarriage) but the doc reassured me that amoxycillin is fine to take during pregnancy.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.