Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Can vicodin cause deformaties?

I have been on vicodin off and on my whole pregnancy and I had an anatomy scan and she was normal but could something go wrong later? That was at 20 weeks Iam now 36 1/2 weeks. I take it for sciatica and I have been taking it more frequently but never more than 4  day if Iam in severe pain..Thanks!
That I know, when you are pregnant, you can only take tylenol and medicine with no aspirin.  You should really talk with your OBGYN about this, honey.  You should have asked many weeks ago! Vicodin is not recommended to be used during pregnancy because it is unknown whether it would be harmful to the fetus.  If you use it regularly, your baby may be born with withdrawal symptoms. Good luck and I hope everything turns out fine.  
Oh I was told about that but Iam wondering about physical deformaties..
Why are you only concerned about the physical deformities? Aren't you concerned about what you are putting your baby through now and what it will have to grow through when it is born? Not many studies have been on the effects but it is known that babies can be born addicted and will have withdrawal symptoms, it is also known to slow the babies breathing if taken near delivery, which isn't good during labor.
Did your OB prescribe these pills to you?
Have you ever seen an adult go through withdrawal from painkillers? I have and it is not pretty. I can't imagine putting a baby through that and know that it is my fault.
Well, my mother is a neonatal ICU nurse and she said that you have to be taking ALOT (like 10+) a day and tae it every single day for a long period of time for the baby to be addicted obviously the baby doesn't get as much as I do..and YES MY OB prescribed them to me I have alt of pain and she told me to use them but since I don't know much I just wanted to ask women who have taken them (or something simlar) that there babies were ok..I don't do it on purpose and Iam offended you calling me a drug user ,FYI IAM VERY CONCERNED thats why Iam asking about the physical part I know the mental
Dear~ withdraw symptoms are not mental they are VERY physical. I think what they are saying is there are more things to be concearned with other than vanity. And 4 vicodin everyday IS alot. I understand that you need it for pain, but it is a huge risk to the baby. So I'm sorry to say dear your mom is wrong, it can be born very addicted and go through physical withdraw symptoms. I do wish you the best, but if I were you I would highly start thinking of cutting back to one a day, so the baby has time to adjust, As uncomfortable as you may be, your unborn child is worth it. Good Luck.
If you re-read my post I never once called you a drug "user" I simply asked if your OB gave you the pills because I was curious to see if these pills were being monitored or not. I highly doubt your OB ok'd 4 vicodin a day. As Kiki said your mom is wrong, it does not take 10 a day to make a baby go through withdrawal, you seriously need to cutt back on your dosage, I would hate for your baby to have to go through unbearable pain when it is born. That is so sad...
By the way, you asked for advice and you are getting it so don't get defensive.
is the vicodin for a nerve condition that shoots down your leg?  I went through alot of pain with nerves being pressed and pain shooting down my legs but I would have never thought about pain killers.   What kind of pain are you in?  

Heck i can't even take pain killers as an adult because it upsets my stomach imagine the baby?  I guess if i have questions in anything that my baby may be subject to i decide to hurt to save my child....to this day i would suffer before my kids at too........I just don't understand why these days woman seem to think pain is worse than it was before we even had hard pills to take the pain away?    
you have to suffer a little for the better of you kids it is worth it...  I would much rather my kids have a physical deformity than a mental one... how many holes are you putting in you babies brain?  With every pill you take he is loosing a little of what he "could have" been.  You will never know the child you would of had if you had just chosen your child over yourself.  Withdrawal is the least of you worries think about the mental and developmental problems will have... ADHD would start of the list but that is also the least of you worries... think of his poor little neurons and how many are being killed by your use of a drug... we can deal with anything for 9 months, think of all the suffering in the world that people live through....  your pain is no comparision jeazzz I feel sorry for your little peanut to have such a weak mama.... ( now I will wait for the backlash) this is just really how I feel
It's better to know that it isn't a good thing, thats why I had my worries I do thank everyone for what they have said you guys are great :-) I guess having a low pain tolerance sucs when your preggo..I don't think Iam weak but sure... now I just feel attacked sorry I asked but I do appreciate the truth..
I talked to my OB and she said that it does not cause birth defects and as long as you don't take it everyday at high doses the baby will not be addicted and she recommend that I don't take anymore starting my 37th week. sooo many people take this while pregnant (and I understand everyone is diffrent) but think about it if it wasn't safe what kind of extream pain would a women with kidney stones or who was in an accident or who had arthrisits go through and like they said it's about moderation. Just because maybe most of you didn't have pain (lucky) doesn't mean not everyone is just happy and can deal with it..now that I talked to y dr. I feel better and I hope you don't make other pregnant moms feel like they are doing something bad and making them feel worse about a bad situation and I don't take them at 4 times a day only with extreme pain.Thanks!
I had a kidney stone while pg and it felt like I was going to die and I didn't even take an advil... just kept thinking about my little girl and how bad I would feel if something happened to her.. hell I wouldn't even drink a coke.. we are all differen't I just chose to put her well being before mine.  sometimes the truth hurts but it doesn't change the facts.  Good luck and I hope you baby doesn't have any problems later on in life that make you wonder if your vic. use could have been the cause.  Guilt is a hard thing to live with
Your right thats why I wanted to ask people who have had pain and/or problems and thanks you for your concern. I know whats best now. Thanks, talking to people on here and my Dr. I have made a good decision thanks for all your help :-)
I had horrible sciatic pain my whole pregnancy with son, all I took was tylenol and even then I only took it when I was in tears from the pain. I do understand what it feels like, believe me but I would never consider taking narcotics even if they were prescribed and even though "soooo" many other pregnant women have taken it.
I hope your pain tolerance goes up a little by the time you go into labor or you are going to be in trouble little lady.
I had sciatica and saw a chiropractor up to 3x a week so as to avoid drugs. Am on second baby with this treatment and I have a BAD back and a LOT of pain, even not pregnant. Acupressure/acupuncture/massage/physical therapy can work too.

Are you going to be taking all these drugs after baby's born? I think you need to explore alternate therapies, reasons for sciatica  and the possibility that YOU are ADDICTED (it's one of the most addictive drugs in use today) --after all, you can't take them for ever and you won't be alert to take care of your own child, even if s/he comes out not obviously defective.  How would you feel if something happened while you were out of it on painkillers?
who are you guys to say what is too much and what is not too much? how dare you guys say her mom is wrong. are you guys neonatal nurses? and yes, withdrawals are horrible...it's a no brainer everybody knows that. that's why the doctor's taper you off in the 3rd trimester. and kiki i think very highly of you for coming on here for your concerns EVEN THOUGH your doctor prescribed them to you. honestly, i would take as less as possible and taper off during your 3rd trimester...you know like doctor's say to do! many women do not understand pain....i have crohn's disease and i am in unbearable pain everyday of your life. to the rest of the people, who are you to say that her mom (a neonatal nurse) is wrong? are you a nurse or a doctor?
and doctor's do say that it is better to keep your body calm, at a good heart rate, and at an elevated level of blood pressure. when you're in a lot of pain, your blood pressure goes up and your heart rate increases. high blood pressure and a high rate can put you on the "high risk pregnancy" list, which puts you at a higher risk for miscarriage, still birth, and premature labor. if you can go to a chiropractor, take as less narcotics as possible, and maybe find more homeopathic methods to treat this pain i would say you will be ok. and tylenol is considered safe during pregnancy, but it is also horrible for the liver. grose, how can you say one drug is ok, but not the other? yes, tylenol is safer, but just because it's safer doesn't mean you're not putting a drug in your body.
Withdrawal symptoms in drug abusers are VERY mental, in people that take their medication as directed it is not mental and hardly physical. To babies, they go through a lot going through the birth canal, but no one talks about how c-sections should be done to every woman so that the baby could feel better. 4 a day in NOT a lot if you are in debilitating pain and if you got down to that much good for you!! I know many women that have had babies and the babies had no symptoms of withdrawal. Really, there are no long term risks to the baby with being on norco. What type are you taking? I spoke with a HIGH RISK ob/gyn and he indicated that there is no reason wy a woman should be in so much pain but should try to keep it at a minimum, and THAT THERE ARE NO LONG TERM EFFECTS TO THE CHILD AND THAT IF there are ANY symptoms of withdrawal at all?, they last only 2-3 days. So calm down mama! You got this and I hope you feel better! Make sure you talk to your ob/gyn about your amount of pills and the amount of pain you are in each day. and try t take it one day at a time
I am glad that all the people from the "Masochism" forum joined to tell this woman about their experience being pregnant... Maybe next time you can give her a break. Everyone wanted her to talk to her Dr, then she did, then they just kept on saying how bad it was lol incredible! She is fried from being burned at the stake! lol good grief.. Some of you hould be ashamed to tell someone that you know nothing of her pain that she may find it better to suffer through the pain just because you did it! Maybe some people don't like to be martyrs!! I know that if I am in pain and bedridden I will take something that my Dr says is ok. I am not ignorant.. unbelievable. Freedom of speech at its best huh
Actually Vicodin is ace/hydro it cannot pierce the amniotic sack enough for it to cause any symptoms minus withdrawl in the last trimester! Hence why doctors tell you to cut back ONLY IN THE LAST TRIMESTER, I have taken norco 5/325 while pregnant with my now 4 year old, he not only is a class ahead of kids his age, he is also NOT deformed! To the girl who wrote this, you are going to encounter [nazi moms] on here who believe a mother should be in pain, and not only that but they should bear the pain even though the stress is more likely to hurt your baby over the pills!