A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members
175317 tn?1256856921

Cats and Pregnancy....

I am 29 years old and am 15 weeks pregnant with my first baby.  I have a cat who is like a son to me.  I know that I am not to clean the litter (my husband is doing that).  But at night, my cat has been extra affectionate with me.  I think he can tell I have been stressed.  I had a doctor's appointment, and at the last meeting my doctor said all blood tests looked good, but I  had an abnormal pap (abnormal cells).  They tested the cells and it came back that I had HPV.  I am still learning what the heck this all means (yes I've seen all the ads on tv about it, and etc. etc.)  Anyhow, my doctor says it is a high risk strain, but nothing to worry about.  She says it will not harm the baby or me, because it is very early on we saw it (my last normal pap was less than a year ago).  She also says 80% of all people who have had sex have it.  So, I'm having a copolscopy for that.  ANYHOW, back to my original question.  Do I have to worry, because my cat has been extra concerned and sleeping on my head.  I noticed last night there was some litter left on my pillow.  I saw the doctor today, and she said nothing to worry too much about, but gave me a blood test for toxoplsmosis as well as the test I was there for which is to test for risk for Downs Syndrome (I guess they do this test at weeks 15-18).  My cat is an indoor-only cat, so that apparently lowers the risk as well.  Anyone who has any answers about any of this?  
9 Responses
If you have had your cat for a while.. then I wouldnt worry about it.  If your cat has the toxo thingie.. then you have already been exposed to it. I just wouldnt recommend adding a new cat to the house.
175317 tn?1256856921
I have had my cat for 6 years, but my watched my neighbors cats while they were gone for three days.  Do you think that one is anything to worry about?
I have 2 cats and my doctor tested me before pregnancy and I already had taxoplosmosa I was shocked, so the doctor told me I am now immuned to it and not to worry at all. So chances are you're already immuned to it.
134578 tn?1578161083
I would not worry either.  I have a lot of cats and the doctor told me I actually had a bigger chance of getting toxoplasmosis from gardening than from the cats.  If they do get it, they only have it for a couple of weeks before it is out of their system, and your kitty being indoor will make his chances of having it almost none.  
175317 tn?1256856921
Thanks so much!  You have all made me fell much better!
175317 tn?1256856921
Sorry typo...Feel much better!
I have 4 cats and have been worried about this same thing. I just went and had a toxo test today. Though I did finally convince DH to take over the box, I have been doing it for the past several weeks while I have been pregnant.
175317 tn?1256856921
It does make you worry doesn't it?  My doctor said that it is very unlikely to have it.  I am anxious to get my blood tests back.  Just took my test today too.
171768 tn?1324233699
i have not had it, so i make sure that my kitties don't sleep on my pillow. i know the risk of transmission that way would be low, but i don't want to risk anything. plus, with a baby coming, i felt it is a good idea to train them to sleep at the foot of the bed instead of right next to me. so far, they have no objections. i make a nice little blanket nest for them, and i have also put cozy cat beds on the floor in my bedroom. my cats are kinda jumpy, so i don't think they'd get too snuggly with an infant, but i want to prepare them none the less.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.