Women's Health: Postpartum Community

IS NEXIUM SAFE DURING PREGNANCY?

I just found out that I am pregnant ( :-) )... I have GERD and have been taking Nexium for many years, it's the only medication that really helps me. With pregnancy, I experienced lower abdominal pain,and got really worried, but then I was told that's its normal. I asked the doctors in the ER if nexium is safe to take during pregnancy, and both OBGYN doctors  at the hospital said yes, since it is a part B drug it is SAFE to take. Yesterday however, I had a visit with my OBGYN who is completely against nexium, prilosec or any other drug except for zantac. I tried taking zantac, but I do not feel any relief whatsoever. I consulted pharmacists and other doctors who clearly state that it is safe to take nexium during pregnancy. I am sure I am not the only pregnant woman with this problem, can someone please advise as to whether nexium is safe to take during pregnancy and if you actually took it and your babies are healthy.

Thanks!!
i don't have GERD, but i had awful heartburn in pregnancy. my doctor refused to let me have anything other than tums in the first trimester. DH is a pharmacist and he agreed. however, as the pregnancy progressed my heart burn stayed bad, and i often vomitted because of it. later on in the pregnancy, they both allowed me to take something. i think it was pepcid- i got a prescription for it because my copay was cheaper than buying it OTC. i don't remember the dosage, and DH isn't home so i can't ask...

anyways, the impression i got from both of them is that it is very important to not take anything in the first trimester. with medications in general, you have to weigh risk vs benefit. obviously GERD is more serious than me whining about heart burn.
I found this on the American College of Gastroenterology website

"What treatments for heartburn are safe during pregnancy?  
During pregnancy, the medical treatment of reflux should be balanced to alleviate the mother’s symptoms of heartburn, while protecting the developing fetus.

Step 1: Modification of diet & lifestyle

Step 2: Antacids are probably safe. Sodium bicarbonate can cause a condition known as metabolic acidosis and should be avoided during pregnancy. Magnesium containing antacids may interfere with uterine contractions during labor and should be avoided during the last trimester of pregnancy.

Step 3: sucralfate (Carafate® ) has a good record for safety and results with pregnant patients. Acid blockers can probably be administered safely, but require a doctor’s supervision.

Step 4: Other medical therapy should only be used when the benefit of the medicine for the mother outweighs the risk of the medicine to the developing fetus."

http://www.gi.org/patients/women/whatisgerd.asp

i have gerd. your not supposed to take anything really for it other than tums during pregnancy

you should really take it up with your doctor!