Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Infant with light nasal congestion/sneezing

Hi there.  I have a 2 week old infant that has some light nasal congestion and is also sneezing a bit. Twice when he sneezed a bit of mucus came out..it was clear.  He is not running a fever nor does he seem to be ill.  A little background...he was a full term baby, but low birthweight (4lbs, 14oz).  He was born via c-section (I mention that because someone told me c-section babies often have mucus issues).  He is not having trouble breathing, and the mucus comes and goes.  We live in a very dry climate and keep a humidifier running in our bedroom (he sleeps next to our bed) which seems to help a bit.  Any suggestions?  Even though he does not seem ill, he does get quite fussy with the stuffy nose and I can tell it bugs him a bit.  Thanks so much for any advice or info, I appreciate it.
very normal, my son was like that for a few weeks after birth.  we just used some saline and suctioned it out.  its all you can do really.  im guessing the mucus is clear?  just lay him on his back (like on your legs with his feet at your tummy) and put a drop in each nostril then sit him up.  then use a bulb suction and help get it all out.   you can try to suction without saline if it comes out but the saline can help keep it moisturized and clean his nostril out.  
Thanks hon!!  Especially for telling me it's normal.  He scared me early this morning even though he didn't seem sick or anything.  I will pick up some saline and I wondered what that bulb thing was for in the Baby First Aid Kit I bought.  And yes, the mucus is clear. I appreciate the info...every day is a learning experience with him.  Thanks so much!!
It is very normal. Think of how many times in a day you might sniffle or even blow your nose. Not only can they not do that, but their nasal passages are so small, stuff can very quickly clog it.

Did you take the boogie sucker (nasal aspirator) that was in his bassinet in the hospital? I have purchased almost every one on the market, and the ones from the hospital are the only ones that ever worked well. For my second, we made sure to swipe the one from the cart every day so that we have back-ups.

Saline can help, although I only did that when she was really stuffed up. Otherwise, definitely stick to the humidifier, and anytime anyone showers, have him in a bouncy seat in the bathroom. That helps tremendously. Don't use the aspirator too much, as overuse can actually lead to over production of mucous by irritating and drying the mucous membranes in the nose. If feeding becomes challenging because of the stuffiness, then you can try feeding him in the bathroom with the steam from the shower.

Some babies are just stuffier than others. My first was always stuffy and this little one not so much. It should fade in the next few months.
Anna had the so-called "newborn conjestion" for about first 6 months.  It went away by itself with time.  Our ped said that conjestion of this sort is normal and sneezing is necessary to get rid of lint and other crap that accumulates in baby's nose.

What I did was to humidify really well the bathroom and then would give Anna a bath there before sleep while running a shower.  That seemed to help better than a humidifyer.