Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Kind of embarrassing question

OK, here goes.  Is anyone else going crazy with itchy nipples?  This just started a few days ago and it's making me lose my mind!  I've been putting shea butter on them, which helps for the moment, but a few hours later it starts all over again.  Also, I don't want to keep messing with them b/c I know it can cause uterine contractions.  Is this just a normal part of pregnancy?  None of my books mention anything about this.
Some of my books have mentioned it as occuring. I do not have it yet. Just keep doing what you are doing. I do not think you have to worry yet about bringing on contractions.
I've never heard of itching nipple before but I don't think that applying cream will stimulate your nipples enough to induce contractions. I'm not sure if it will work or not, but lanolin (sp?) ointments that are designed for sore, irritated nipples when nursing may help more than the shea butter. You can buy it in any baby isle of any drugstore/pharmacy etc. Good luck.
Make sure to ask your doctor, my cousin had a similar issue and it turned out to be a fungal thing. If they rule that out, try Lanisoh, which is 100% lanolin. If you plan on nursing you'll want that on hand anyway : )

Andi
i had it and still do!!  my dr wasnt concerned.  My belly is itchy too.  my boobs went up two sizes and the dr said it was from my growing skin, same w/ the belly.
what week are you?  If you are at the end and have nursed before, you could have the begining of mostitis, and might need meds.  Enjoy!!
I used hydrocortisone cream for it.
shea butter is a great thing for dry skin...another helpful thing is not to get any soap products on them.
I see my MW in two weeks so I'll be sure to mention it.  Thanks for all the tips!
Mine have been a little bit itchy off and on. Actually it reminded me of puberty. And my bbs have gotten enormous and I'm only at week 6. The one on the right is like at least twice as big as the other one.
MIne were only slightly itchy, but for a while my nipples felt like someone was shoving a needle right into the middle of each of them. Eek. iT was a little painful, but nothing overwhelming. All these breast issues, wow. I knew my body would change during pregnancy, but I guess I am a little surprised sometimes by all the changes.
i am 32 weeks pregnant and my nipples started itching when i hit 20 weeks. they dont itch as much but they did for a good while and got a little crusty as well. its definitely a part of the pregnancy from what i have learned and have been told. if i put any lotion on them it usually makes them burn for some reason. probably because i have scratched them raw. if you do put anything on them dont put lotions with strong scents. they can make it worse and make them really uncomfortable.
I think it's normal.  I only say that because so many women experience it, including myself... I think it is part of the breasts expanding, etc.  Some days it drives me mad, but I try to think of it as a labor of love (wink).  It's defintely better (in my mind) than morning sickness!  Good luck to you dear!
Who knows but itchy nipples could be a symptom of thrush on your nipples, but I don't know if you only get it if your breastfeeding...