Multiples? Or cysts?

I went for my ultrasound yesterday - 8 weeks pregnant - they found the heartbeat & baby looks fine.  But, they have found a number of abnormalities which they describe as either "simple" cysts or possibly more babies. Um, if there are more babies would they not have been able to find heartbeats?

-Confused
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for responding, yes I go back in 3 weeks for another ultrasound.  In the meantime my doc has me going in to check hcg levels every 5 days.  
Helpful - 0
If it were more babies and they were the same gestational age as the baby for whom a heartbeat was found, you'd expect them to also have heartbeats.  But it could have been that other embryos began and then stopped developing, or possibly (this is really rare) came later (after the first baby began) and also took hold.  Will you have another ultrasound in a few weeks?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.